Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  18
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The ElMoto Dream Bike

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by __Tango View Post
    Not quite sure how that shock is out of the way. Can you 'splain?

This is a '96 F3 frame and the picture isn't the greatest but the shock is out of the way of the motor area. I think the vertical and lower shock arraignment of the GSXRs might be better from a packaging standpoint. Also, as I understand it, the CBR engine is a stressed member so I've been mulling over the frame strengthening options on that.

teddillard
    Quote Originally Posted by mcf12 View Post
    ...has more soul. There I said it.
    ^^ ...I knew I liked that guy.

Yeah, the CBR was my son's suggestion for a conversion. The ride and handling review sounds pretty good too...

Those drop-down tubes in the front look like they'd be handy:
    Last edited by teddillard; 27 January 2013 at 0302.

Post Thanks / Like
    I also believe the best place for the motor is as close to the pivot point as possible. It doesn't have to be concentric (way too much trouble, and no real advantage) but you gain an extra 100 mm of room for a big diameter AC motor.

All the more reason for a custom frame, but the swingarm can be a Ducati supersport since the shock is mounted above the motor. Hold this thought - Randy (Framecrafters) is developing a third generation bimetallic frame for a 200 kg electric bike (mine) and it's going to be much easier to make numbers 2 3 and 4 as the bugs are ironed out. Bugger an ICE chassis - steal the geometry and make it fit a battery/motor/controller combo how you want it.

teddillard
    Fair enough... can't wait to see what you come up with!

As far as motors go, I happen to know someone (>cough< remotecontact) with a crap-ton of these available for cheap: http://www.ebay.com/itm/160931785345

In fact, I'm picking up mine today.

Heres the sheet on it: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/dow...e.php?id=97120

Here it is in his Ninja 250, replacing his AC20, running it with his Curtis 1238:

...he said it's basically an AC35. (...somewhere an Empulse "owner" is crying lol)
    Last edited by teddillard; 27 January 2013 at 0518.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just make sure he swaps the phase wires or you'll be going backwards at a great rate

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by teddillard View Post

Here it is in his Ninja 250, replacing his AC20, running it with his Curtis 1238:....
    something i don't get here Ted, you say replacing his AC20, but then why:
    - AC20: about 25 kgs, 100 Nm, 37 kw, 180mm Diam, 330 mm long
    - AC24LS: 40 kgs, 87 Nm, 35 kw, 244mm diam, 345mm long

Am I missing something here ?
    Regards from Switzerland
    My 2.5 Upgrade Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I know that Noah had made mention of a duplicatable conversion package. I like the idea of a component set and a set of CAD plans to machine the required mounts. Sort of a plug-and-play set up for the DIY conversion, and then perhaps if you had the entrepreneurial bug you could set up shop in Anytown, USA (or Einerstadt, DE) and build conversions / sell packages.

While I love the idea of reusing an OEM chassis, I hate conversions that are indistinguishable from the ICE they were based on. Airtech used to offer a custom body for a GSXR that would completely change the look - http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/...SXR_HORNET.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugues View Post
    something i don't get here Ted, you say replacing his AC20, but then why:
    - AC20: about 25 kgs, 100 Nm, 37 kw, 180mm Diam, 330 mm long
    - AC24LS: 40 kgs, 87 Nm, 35 kw, 244mm diam, 345mm long

Am I missing something here ?
    He has like 100 of the AC24LS motors from the Azure auction he wants to sell ;-)

teddillard
    Yeah, that (so the price is more than right) and that sheet apparently is running a totally underpowered controller. I'm not really sure what it should be rated at, but I'm pretty certain it's more than an AC20, or even AC35 for that matter. And no, I have no idea what I'm going to end up doing with it.

teddillard
    See? Yellow.

Oh yeah, yellow on the bike too.

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast