Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  18
Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: The ElMoto Dream Bike

Post Thanks / Like
    Agree that the CBR1000 frame is probably best of those available. At the end of the day the newer and fewer miles the better.

Again, from a race bike standpoint one of our riders could always tell which bike was new and which had done half a season of racing by the feel of how much the frame flexed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oddly enough, I was googling info on the mono tracer (it came up in my ludicrous idea thread) and this elmoto dream bike conversation popped up.

So here's the question: where do we stand now, four and a half years later?

When last we left, it was a liter bike frame and no anderson connectors. Oh, and it was yellow.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Dillard View Post
    who's this junior member on the board ?
    Regards from Switzerland
    My 2.5 Upgrade Thread

5. Likes ElMotoMike liked this post
    Behind the Redwood Curtain- REDWOOD ORIGINAL!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Since this thread has been resurrected... Al frames are way stiffer than steel ones. I remember when Honda introduced aluminum frames on their CR dirtbike line and the extra rigidity was a problem at first.
    To me, they felt like a big tuning fork... I could feel a harmonic vibration through the handlebars at times.
    Last edited by Stevo; 24 September 2017 at 2011.
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4
    Current builds: WORX.VOR.v3.2

Post Thanks / Like
    Waaaa....??? That's it? I was so absoluely engrossed in this thread that i didn't see how old it was. What a shame that it stopped...

Post Thanks / Like
    It was a great conversation. Unfortunately, as forums go, at that point in time members came, members went, and the subject got dropped.

On the other hand, I continued my, er, obsession on my own blog, and tagged it as "The CBRe Build Thread". You can read all about it here:
    https://evmc2.wordpress.com/category...-build-thread/

Alas, the build never actually happened.
    Last edited by Ted Dillard; 21 September 2017 at 0242.
    Power in Flux: The History of Electric Motorcycles
    www.powerinflux.com

Post Thanks / Like
    you guys almost built one of these:

...the CBR chassis was a good idea, but I just think you picked the wrong CBR with the "RR", as super sport bikes are fun and all, but they are just not comfortable, and aren't good at alittle more relaxed speeds and in town....but there is(was) one CBR that was much more comfortable(at least some), looked really cool, and was fast(was the fastest in 1998)...it was the "gentleman's touring super sport" that people mounted panniers on...
    the Honda Super Blackbird CBR 1100XX

I found a yellow one for ya

I do own a Blackbird, and love it, lowered it just a little, raised the bars, mounting bags on it next

but you guys kept talking about having problems with the frame...I think the main problem with converting any ICE bike is that none of the frames will really be made to fit huge battery configurations.....so I say go in a different direction....something odd looking, but well built to carry some weight, still aerodynamic, and super comfortable...at home in the city, great on the open road, but has no frame so you can build anything you want between the front and the back
    BMW R1100RT

and I own two of those, one has over 90,000miles on it

10. Likes Spaceweasel liked this post
    Behind the Redwood Curtain- REDWOOD ORIGINAL!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Spaceweasle on here is working on the BMW shaftdrive conversion as we write...
    I agree I think its an excellent choice for a conversion if the whole shaftdrive can be worked out. I think a VFR would be another great consideration too, especially one with the hard side bags to house additional batteries for removable extended range.
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4
    Current builds: WORX.VOR.v3.2

Post Thanks / Like
    The BMW R bikes are very interesting from a conversion front. If I hadn't fixated on the hossack front end I might have gone that way.

Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast