Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Prius drop-in plug-in package

Post Thanks / Like

Prius drop-in plug-in package

Just wondering if anyone on the forum, or anyone that knows someone, that has bought and used one of the packages from Plug-In Supply that they put together for the Prius. Am in the market for a new car and am considering the Prius. Plug-In Supply has 4 and 10 kw packages for the DIYer.

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Add furyphoto on Facebook
    From what I understand, it's their software and interface that runs the car on the traction pack first before switching to hybrid mode that is the linchpin, the battery pack and charger are pretty standard. You could easily DIY a pack, and charger.
    -Andrew

http://www.andrewdoran.com
    mail(at)andrewdoran.com

My ElMoto Project "Electric Hurricane" - 1987 Honda CBR600 F1: Check out my Build ALBUM
    My ICE Cafe Racer Project "My Precious" - 1983 Honda CM400 Classic

Post Thanks / Like
    Good point Fury. Plug-in Supply will sell the components individually, and the DIY kit involves assembling everything anyway, including the battery pack. This isn't my first conversion, and I'm still in the planning stages. The 4 kw DIY kit is $4800. but it looks to be well developed, and they claim there are more than 200 of their conversions done already. My lead-acid Ninja is out there in Vancouver somewhere - seen it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Richard hatfield and the Lightning Motorcycle guys sell a Prius conversion kit. You might give him a call about it.
    EVs: 2007 Zapino Scooter, Honda VF500 Conversion (electriceptor.wordpress.com), Red Nissan LEAF SL (Arrived!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by __Tango View Post
    Richard hatfield and the Lightning Motorcycle guys sell a Prius conversion kit. You might give him a call about it.
    I was under the impression Plug-in Supply is Richard Hatfield's company? They haven't answered my email that I sent close to a week ago...
    They put together a pretty good looking kit - just a little more expensive than others. Bought the car and am eager to go full electric instead of half electric.IMG_0309.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I am not sure if you have ever heard of these guys, but I met them and they seem to have a good product. They have been offering kits for a few years now, and I see they are making continual improvements and the costs seem to be within reason. I was actively persuing a dealer/installer relationship with them two years ago and then I had to build a new house because the one I was renting was sold unexpectedly.
    My shop had to go dormant for a while so I never took the plunge. In a few months I hope to pick up where I left off.

http://www.enginer.us/products/conversion_kit.php

Mike.
    Mike K.

1997 Honda CBR 600 F3
    72Volt (6) 55Ah Deka SLA AGM
    25 Mile range
    60 MPH
    "Jesus transformed me like the apostle Paul".

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Red View Post
    I was under the impression Plug-in Supply is Richard Hatfield's company? They haven't answered my email that I sent close to a week ago...
    They put together a pretty good looking kit - just a little more expensive than others. Bought the car and am eager to go full electric instead of half electric.IMG_0309.jpg
    I don't think that's richard's company, but i'm not certain. For one, plug-in supply has a 707 area code, which is a couple counties north of where lightning is.

But like i said, i'm not sure.
    EVs: 2007 Zapino Scooter, Honda VF500 Conversion (electriceptor.wordpress.com), Red Nissan LEAF SL (Arrived!)

Post Thanks / Like
    My understanding is that Richard is/was one of the founders. I don't know if he still has an interest in that company or not.

Post Thanks / Like
    Enginer appears to also make a good package in various sizes, and their website includes detailed installation videos, but their systems are limited to around 35 mph and Plug-in Supply has designed their software/hardware to allow highway speeds. I choose a late model Gen. 3 Prius because it has the EV mode button right on the dash. Really limited though - only 1 km at 25 mph - might be ok when I get to the retirement village

Post Thanks / Like
    I went back and looked at Plug-in-supply and I realized that I met Richar Hafield an a EV seminar. He is a really knowledgable guy with a great sense of humor!. He has that tinkerer/engineer gift along with the determination and desire to produce a quality product. I was very impressed and I would have no reservations to do business with him. He really has the perspective of integrating a great product into existing platforms that produce excellent real world results. There is no fluff built into the advertized range and performance results.
    Mike K.

1997 Honda CBR 600 F3
    72Volt (6) 55Ah Deka SLA AGM
    25 Mile range
    60 MPH
    "Jesus transformed me like the apostle Paul".