Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  21
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: The 3D Printing and Scanning corner

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice experiment Hugues.

I would like to try out that simulation software.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just picked up a 3D Systems Sense scanner. It's a handheld model made for larger objects (8"x8"x8" up to 10'x10'x10' claimed), and it's only $400 US. It takes some practice to get a good scan, but once you get the hang of it the results are quite good.

Here are pics of a scan of my tank. To check the accuracy, I printed a cross section onto paper and cut it out of cardboard. The fit is very good. This was directly from the scan, no rescaling or adjustments.

tank_3d_front.jpgtank_3d_back.jpgtank_template_back.jpgtank_template_front.jpg
    - Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

3. Likes Hugues, mpipes liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sure beats the plumb-bobbing and protracting I had to do on my frame!

Post Thanks / Like
    Now that is quite impressive, looks like I got something else to start saving for again

Status-free and luvin' it
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by podolefsky View Post
    I just picked up a 3D Systems Sense scanner. It's a handheld model made for larger objects (8"x8"x8" up to 10'x10'x10' claimed), and it's only $400 US. It takes some practice to get a good scan, but once you get the hang of it the results are quite good.

Here are pics of a scan of my tank. To check the accuracy, I printed a cross section onto paper and cut it out of cardboard. The fit is very good. This was directly from the scan, no rescaling or adjustments.
    Nice! I have a seat of 3D Systems Geomagic Design that I use for CAD at home and was recently looking at the Sense as the software has direct support for the scanner. Not knowing if it scanned/scaled to actual size though was something that kept me from moving on it
    Mike Pipes
    - Currently under analysis paralysis.

Status-free and luvin' it
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice! I have a seat of 3D Systems Geomagic Design that I use for CAD at home and was recently looking at the Sense as the software has direct support for the scanner. Not knowing if it scanned/scaled to actual size though was something that kept me from moving on it
    Mike Pipes
    - Currently under analysis paralysis.

Post Thanks / Like
    I put some more photos of my sprocket guard and a description of the design method on the web. It's at the bottom of this page. It took a long time but was a good learning experience.

9. Likes Hugues liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Panic View Post
    I designed this printer and have seen it in person. The unfinished look of the part is not great, but that is due to them using nylon (much stronger than PLA), and it's got a bit of an ugly color. The parts are not nearly as "course" as they look in photograph, the print resolution is actually very good. I used a wrench they printed with carbon fibers embedded, and it's pretty impressive how rigid they made the part.
    Yeah, I heard about this printer too, and I read about it on http://3dinsider.com/3d-printers-for-sale/
    As I can remember, this printer was among the most cheapest printers ever, despite it's innovative technology..

Post Thanks / Like
    For anyone on a budget (<$300) and not needing a huge build area the printers from monoprice have served me really well over the last year. https://www.monoprice.com/pages/3d_printers
    They are basically re branded Wanhao printers and have large community of users behind them. Just make sure to update the faulty heater board connections.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112