Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yellow GPR-S rehab

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for reminding me about the issues with the z-6 (rebranded as z-6000) scooter. I have some suggestions/info:

The Z-6 also has surging at low speeds which was cured by spraying “Super Contact Cleaner” by SG Chemicals(sp?) on all contact points, especially the motor terminal bolt, which one nut (we discovered) was cross-threaded, during factory installation.

On our EV's we learned that using Super Contact Cleaner annually is a “must”. This will clear up 80% of EV problems, seemingly miraculously.

The reason that the chain flies off, imo, is the radius of small gear. The ratio between the gears is too extreme. You'll see, for example, that other electric cycles have a “jack shaft” to break down the gear ratios. Unfortunately, that involves most mechanical stuff, more belts/chains, and in my experience, the jackshaft bearings/belts wear out in 10,000 kms due to real-world dirt/mud that gets in there; the EV designers didn't forsee that.

The reason my Z-6 scooter never had chain problems was because the chain got lubed with synthetic oil overy 40 miles or so. (The UBC high-mileage car champs had a sealed chain drive oil bath.)

The Z-6's self-destructing BMS, and/or the failure of the charger (or its external daughterboard relay) was due to a very simple preventable act: PLUG IN THE CHARGER TO THE BATTERY PACK BEFORE PLUGGING THE CHARGER TO THE AC OUTLET. WHEN DONE, UNPLUG THE PACK CONNECTION FIRST, BEFORE UNPLUGGING THE AC CORD. Failure to have this info from the manufacturer/seller led to the very costly demise of the Z-6, which was, otherwise, a fantastic ride.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree that a hub motor would be ideal. I saw large hub motors, like the one you are wishing for perhaps, undergoing dyno testing at E-Ride in Vancouver. This distributor has the best stuff, the best test gear in Canada, and their guarantee is reliable. Justin Lemaire, the genius behind the Cycle Analyst, started there, as an ebike techie, circa 2005.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12