Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A bike called PowerBand - South Africa

Post Thanks / Like

A bike called PowerBand - South Africa

Hi everyone

So I have decided to take the plunge and do something about actually starting an EV project.Currently I am doing the research,reading the forums etc and I must admit,theres a lot of considerations to take into account.

Hmmm where to start....

I want to use the bike as a commuter to work eventually when I saved enough funds for lithium,until then I will use SLA (eww I know) and have some fun,fine tune the setup etc.A daily work return trip is 37 miles (60km) so Lithium is a must when I use the bike for work.(Or charge at work but this may not always be possible)

I was thinking about the chassis and found that I quite like the TZR 250 3xv (picture below) but it all depends on whats available with a blown engine etc.I will be some variant of this style though.
    3xv-schroeter2.jpg

In terms of the motor,and controller I was thinking about going for this kit,what do you think? http://www.evdrives.com/product_p/ck-1003-1.htm My original idea was to use the GoldenMotor 10KW 3 phase ac motor and kit but I see theres a lot of people complaining about the qaulity of the product,anyone have experience with them? Performance wise how does a brushed Mars 1003 motor compare to a BLDC,3 Phase AC?

The motor is a 72v Motoenergy 1003 and controller is a Alltrax AXE7245 (200A constant - 400A peak) ,seems like theres been some good feedback on them.I see its a brushed motor but it seems like it out perfoms a lot of other brands or at least competes with the higher spec motors on the market.I will use the Magura throttle.

I am hoping for a top speed of about 70 to 75MPH (112km/h - 120km/h) and according to the various online calculators out there,this is possible with the correct gearing. (and Lithium lol)

I am about to order the kit but but this shipping has me a little annoyed as its damn expensive.I am going to use USPS express international but am a little concerned as I dont know if I will get a tracking number as its being shipped to South Africa.Also evdrives.com say they will not be held liable if items are lost or damaged if using USPS but on USPS website,they mention theres insurance for express mail so is this an additional cost? (excuse ignorance) Perhaps someone can clear how it works up for me.

Once the kit arrives,I will look at finding the suitable donor bike and the process of making it all fit together (Saturday beer afternoons) as well as the other components like DC-DC wiring etc :P

Anyways,please let me know your thoughts as its everyone on the forum who save us newbies from making costly mistakes.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the me1003 and Alltrax 7245 should do what you want and I have had good luck dealing with evdrives. No idea about shipping to SA, sorry!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Skahle,I'm going to take the plunge this week and just order it.I pray I get a tracking number! Besides the kit consisting of the motor,controller,contactor,throttle,resistors.Do you think there is anything else I need to order (besides lithium and BMS)? Cables and anderson connectors I can get from this side. I just dont want to have to order things from halfway across the world only to realise that I needed a major component.

teddillard
    Quote Originally Posted by Skahle View Post
    I think the me1003 and Alltrax 7245 should do what you want ...
    I loves mine - and it's on a similar sized bike (mine's a 350 2-stroke donor).

Post Thanks / Like
    Thats awesome Ted! Where can I see some pics?

Post Thanks / Like
    lol just saw it in your signature.Really nice!!!

teddillard
    Thanks! I've taken to posting most of the photos on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...8396040&type=3

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great TED,love that styling!

I did it,I ordered my kit....time to live off beans for the next 4 months. lol
    Last edited by Zero_Phobia; 17 April 2013 at 1542.

teddillard
    CONGRATS! (and thanks again...) Beans is good! Motors iz BETTER! One of the things I should have said, Motenergy is a GREAT company. 100% committed to supporting their customers, and to EV technology in general. Don't hesitate to contact them for help or support.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by teddillard View Post
    CONGRATS! (and thanks again...) Beans is good! Motors iz BETTER! One of the things I should have said, Motenergy is a GREAT company. 100% committed to supporting their customers, and to EV technology in general. Don't hesitate to contact them for help or support.
    That makes me feel a lot better ted.I could of gone for a product from china (wont mention names) but have a confident feeling this was a better choice in the long run.I will update everyone as soon as I have information.Will provide lots of pics as I go about my build!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast