Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1998 suzuki marauder vz800 conversion

Post Thanks / Like

1998 suzuki marauder vz800 conversion

This is what I have going on. Last summer I started the conversion. I found a used bike that someone had already stripped the engine from.IMG_3404.jpg This is what it looked like.

I purchased an AXE 724 controller, a Mars 709 motor, and a magura potentiometer.

I attached the motor and started what will be the base for the battery racks.
    IMG_4226.jpg
    IMG_4228.jpg

I purchased 4 12v 55ah batteries. Soon to be 6, for a total of 72v.
    After this, school started up again (I am a high school science teacher) and things came to a grinding halt.

I am now ready to start up again.
    I am looking for a good charger, of which some of you have given me some good advice on.
    I will be posting more of how things are progressing, as well as many question as things develop.

Send your good karma this way.

teddillard
    Cool!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quick question. Since I do not have a charger yet, and the batteries have set over winter, could I charge each one with a regular battery charger to top them off until I get a dedicated charger? I do not know if a regular charger will harm the batteries.

Also looking for a creative name the the marauder. Any suggestions?

teddillard
    Absolutely - if by "regular charger" you mean standard lead auto charger. It will do fine. Basically you're "balance charging" the pack that way, and since you only have 6 it's not a big deal. When you go with lithium and have 24 cells it's a different story, but still pretty practical.

As for names, I don't think I'm a good one for advice on that. I just add an "e" to the name and a number for how many times I've re-built it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's the obvious names:
    eMarauder
    MaraudEVer
    elMarauder

Good Karma on it's way!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Formicid,

That is looking like a great basic build. Will you be explaining this to students how mechanics and physics work?

Keep up with build.
    Tony
    Los Angeles

Post Thanks / Like
    A few thoughts on the name.

If you include "Marauder" in the name it will definitely inspire teenage boys. "Marauder" stands for power and independence, just what teenagers are striving for, and what parents are trying to keep them from.

If you are trying to attract parents and the general public to electric conversions a tamer name might be better. Perhaps include part of the High Schools name.
    "obstacles suck but challenges are fun"

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome Formicid! Nice to see another el-cruiser build.

I like El Marauder.
    - Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

Post Thanks / Like

1998 suzuki marauder vz800 conversion

If you're going to charge each one individually, you may want something that does some maintenance at the top end (like this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000CI...sr=8-1&pi=SL75). If you got 6 of those and let them run for a while, you may get some extra life out of the batteries.
    EVs: 2007 Zapino Scooter, Honda VF500 Conversion (electriceptor.wordpress.com), Red Nissan LEAF SL (Arrived!)

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=yankee1919;37128]Hello Formicid,

That is looking like a great basic build. Will you be explaining this to students how mechanics and physics work?

Thanks. I am teaching myself along the way with hopefully lots of help from this forum. I am putting together an engineering notebook that documents the build. I will then be sharing everything with the students. Just talking about what I am planning in my classes has created more interest than I thought.

Mark

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast