Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  12
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M1GP Open class won on electric! First time in history!

Post Thanks / Like

M1GP Open class won on electric! First time in history!

The open class is the fastest group of purpose-built racing gas motorcycles M1GP has to offer, and it was won by my buddy Doug on a street legal mostly stock Zero XU! (With sticky tires and a Sevcon Size 4 controller swap (FX controller).

I took 2nd behind Doug in the Hollywood electric class, narrowly beating Ryan in an awesome battle! Later in the open class race, Ryan eeked out an amazing running-off-track pass on the last lap after we had been swapping spots for a few laps of intense battling in the open event, and I ended up finishing on his tail, with Doug winning overall and a group of various fast gas bikes in front and behind Ryan and I.

It was an awesome race weekend, and we shifted a lot of people's mis-conceptions about electric's being slow with Doug's open class overall win. That was a first for the race history books for M1GP. :-)
    Enjoy the pics!

This final pic is pretty cool. If you look very carefully, that's Ryan riding very well aligned directly behind me. Ryan is damn fast and very lightweight for a guy my height.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Nuts & Volts; 19 August 2013 at 1834. Reason: fixed image link

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Add PaulWay on Google+
    Visit PaulWay's Youtube Channel
    Rocking awesome! Great work there!

It's only going to get better...

Have fun,

Paul

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Add zikzak on Google+
    I'm glad to read that some people changed their mind about EV races and motorbikes in this specific case \o/

Post Thanks / Like
    Pardon my ignorance, but what is M1GP? I've ever heard of it... Is it like clubman racing or something?

teddillard
    It's "American Mini Road-Racing": https://www.m1-grandprix.com/

The most info can be found on their Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/m1gpracing/info

"About
    M1GP American Mini Motorcycle Road Racing Association. Striving to provide motorcyclists the best experience in mini road racing and skill development in the USA.
    Mission
    Our mission is to provide and grow the sport of motorcycle racing at the mini-class level with quality race events with our championship sprint and endurance race series.
    Company Overview
    Kids and adults (we have a great mix of both) can come race in sprint and endurance races in the safest conditions and environments.
    All M1GP races have a medic, corner marshals and professional timing equipment to benefit all of its racers.

M1GP is for riders, new or experienced, serious about honing their riding/racing skill with a method proven by world champions - skill development and great racing through mostly smaller displacement motorcycles.
    Description
    LOW RISK, LOW COST, HIGH VALUE, HIGH FUN! "SMALL IS SMART"

The future of American motorcycle champions starts HERE.
    General Information
    Main Website:http://www.m1-grandprix.com/
    STORE http://www.zazzle.com/m1grandprix
    FOR INFO OR TO SPONSOR A CLASS / SERIES CONTACT: 310-497-3155 info[at]m1-grandprix.com"

Post Thanks / Like
    The nice thing about racing electric motorcycles is that the neighbors won't complain about noise and want the track closed as so many tracks have been closed over the past 50 years. (Although, granted most of these tracks have been closed so that the property could be sold and new shopping centers built on them and noise was just an excuse.) Now you can have races in just about every urban area at just about every time and only have to worry about the traffic congestion getting to and from the track. A "win-win" for everyone.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2014 14.2 kWh Zero S, 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2011 Royal Enfield 500, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a video of one of the Hollywood electric's race from this event. Unfortunately it's the only video I personally have from the event. The video of the open class race with Doug battling the fastest of the gas bikes there with his XU should also be an awesome video, and I know somebody out there has it. :-)

8. Likes Harold in CR, Richard230, harlan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    its kinda funny you only here that two stroke ...then a few four strokes go by way after...lol

Post Thanks / Like

Re: M1GP Open class won on electric! First time in history!

Looks like fun!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow harlan On Twitter Add harlan on Facebook
    Visit harlan's Youtube Channel
    Awesome Luke! Thanks for posting pics and video!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast