Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  22
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Widow reverse trike ratrodmoto build thread

Status-free and luvin' it
    Post Thanks / Like

Black Widow reverse trike ratrodmoto build thread

Seems most guys here start their build threads with new rolling chassis, so following suit, here's my rolling chassis..... it just took me a year and a half to build it from scratch This is the first time it's been able to roll out of the garage onto the driveway. Hell of a starting point!

She earned the name "Black Widow" pretty recently. I never settled on an official name this whole build process but it came about one day when I had to move things around the garage. I keep a black colored blanket over the front end to keep sunlight off the carbon fiber when the the garage door is open - the epoxy resin is not UV stable and since it's in the middle of build-up, there is no added UV protection. So anyway I open the garage door, pull the blanket off and bend down to grab the frame and drag it across the floor. This is when I noticed a massive black widow spider nest built within the front frame cage and control arms. Well that's as good of a sign as any for me, so it shall be! I've since cleaned the nest out but I never did find the spider, I will commemorate it however, with a hand-carved hood ornament in the shape of a giant black widow spider. I think it's only fitting.

All frame, tub, suspension components are carbon fiber wet lay-up over foam or any other reasonably lightweight means of patterning without molds to work with.

The shocks are Shockwave models from AirRide/ridetech. They're air springs build around adjustable damping rate shocks. Smaller diameter air spring designed for the lighter rear ends of hot rods, so hopefully they're a good fit for a lightweight vehicle.

The steering spindles up front are aftermarket MustangII spindles, mating up to thread-in style ball joints. The ball joints have threaded sleeves that normally get welded into control arms for custom applications, in this case I've built the sleeves into carbon inserts that could be positively locked and bonded into carbon control arms. The wheel hubs, brake rotors and brake caliper are all from Wilwood and designed for drag racing cars under 2400lbs - more than sufficient for this lighter daily driver.

I dont have steering yet, a one-off rack and pinion system based off MustangII is the most likely bet.

All three wheels are from Weld Racing, DOT legal for street use yet still light for racing and perfect for a light vehicle. If I remember right each front wheel is 7lbs and that beautiful 18"x12" on the rear is 18lbs.... Automotive style wheels won out over motorcycle wheels primarily because of cost. Moto wheels are insane $$ and since this machine is all custom anyway, it's actually easier to build it based off automotive components.

Currently researching belt drive components, pretty much have the system figured out, I just need to bite the bullet and order components. It will be a 2-stage reduction to keep the rear pulley to a size that won't block too much of the gorgeous wheel and keep rotating mass down as well. I'm going industrial market with Gates GT2 pulleys and belts. I don't like that these pulleys are ductile iron finish so I'll go with these for proof of concept and testing now, then have them make stainless steel versions after fine tuning.

As she sits in these photos, she rolls in at 385lbs. Targeted total weight of 700 or less, not sure if I'll hit that.

IMG_2634.jpgIMG_2635.jpgIMG_2637.jpgIMG_2640.jpg
    Mike Pipes
    - Currently under analysis paralysis.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a concept sketch for those that havent seen it buried in the "Today, I...." thread.

shocker2.jpg
    Mike Pipes

3. Likes Skeezmour, Hugues liked this post
    teddillard
    DUDE! That's completely badass! I can't wait to see it when it has all it's wheels!

Seriously, I remembered this build but couldn't remember who or where it was... VERY cool, and possibly even a three-wheeler I can believe it. Hell, the single wheel is almost as wide as two, anyway... lol! (And talk about your low C/G!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike,

Amazing work. I'll be stalking...er...watching this build closely. Don't pay any attention to Ted. He will go for anything with wheels. He is the kind we called "easy" in high school. :-)

teddillard
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren View Post
    ...He is the kind we called "easy" in high school. :-)
    ...just not "cheap". LOL!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by teddillard View Post
    ...just not "cheap". LOL!
    He can be bought with beer.

Post Thanks / Like

Black Widow reverse trike ratrodmoto build thread

Thanks guys!

Ted, yep I like 'em low, should avoid any tendencies toward tipping. Hey I don't have a budget to throw at complicated computer controlled dynamic stabilization like the CanAm Spyder, so going LOW and not to mention LONG (thats a 10ft wheel base ) and of course WIIIDE (54" track width) is the simplest way I know to tackle it! Especially with all the batteries mounted in the lower section of the tub
    Mike Pipes

Post Thanks / Like
    very kewl, i love it...
    The Greatest thing about a EV, is the Song of the Terrain...

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a few pics of the belt drive components, using a 2nd stage speed reduction jack shaft. Had to cut the splined end of the axle (Strange Engineering) to fit the rear pulley, building bearing cups/housing for the jack shaft assembly as well..

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380495169.727110.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1380495194.073926.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1380495223.244962.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1380495318.523231.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1380495330.174379.jpg
    Mike Pipes

Post Thanks / Like
    Belt drive gear reduction/jack shaft is grafted onto the swingarm!

Built a carbon fiber subwoofer enclosure for the stereo system lol... 8 lb enclosure for a 45lb speaker... not to mention the speaker weighs as much as the motor pushing this sled! 2000W continuous power handling too hah!

I've got a custom rack and pinion steering on order as well, should be landing in December.

busy busy busy!ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384316622.409633.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1384316643.641626.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1384316653.291649.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1384316692.775163.jpg
    Mike Pipes

12. Likes Skeezmour liked this post
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast