Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why Solar EV Charging Won't Work

Post Thanks / Like
    Several versions of this story out there:
    http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...ctric-for-free (This one caught my eye when it came out because of the Zero.)

http://www.businessweek.com/articles...stment-in-half

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...k-time-yes-but

teddillard
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Will View Post
    I read that it takes 30 years in savings to pay for solar panels if you just use them to power your house, but, only takes 10 years if you also use them to fuel your electric car.
    your numbers are ****ed up. welcome to fight club.

Post Thanks / Like
    Back of the envelope - an electric car that drives 30 miles per day (the national average) needs about 10 kWh. A sq meter of solar panels in the desert will produce 1 kWh per day, so each car needs 10 sq meter. There are 250 million cars in the US - let's say 100 million of them drive 30 miles a day (it's probably even less). That's 1 billion sq m, or about 400 sq miles. That's tiny - about the size of Phoenix.

So there's the answer - knock down Phoenix, cover it with solar panels and power all the cars in the US. Two birds with one stone
    - Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

4. Likes Richard230 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the first part of your solution is generally a good idea!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by teddillard View Post
    your numbers are ****ed up. welcome to fight club.
    My numbers are ****ed up... Well your grandmothers first grade teacher wore combat boots!
    "obstacles suck but challenges are fun"

teddillard
    My numbers are ****ed up... Well your grandmothers first grade teacher wore combat boots!
    yeah you'd know that from personal experience old man

teddillard
    Quote Originally Posted by podolefsky View Post
    So there's the answer - knock down Phoenix, cover it with solar panels and power all the cars in the US. Two birds with one stone
    Yeah, I read somewhere that some people are pissed that they're putting up solar farms in the frikkin desert. the. frikkin. desert. I beg you. Give me a break. I don't even get how ol' Walter Cronkite could live with himself (back when he was alive) for calling himself an environmentalist but fighting the Cape Wind project because it happened to be in the middle of where he preferred to sail his big ****ing sailboat (when he wasn't making an ass of himself up on the Coast of Maine running into lobster pots and getting thrown out of bars in Camden.

OK

i made that last bit up.

welcome to fight club.

Post Thanks / Like
    My old roommate was one of those - didn't want any solar in the desert - so he could drive his 4x4 through 300 year old cryptobiotic soil without anything uglying up the view. Not making that up.
    - Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

Post Thanks / Like
    I read that it takes 30 years in savings to pay for solar panels if you just use them to power your house, but, only takes 10 years if you also use them to fuel your electric car.
    I think those are some very old numbers in general. But you can't make a generalized statement like that anyways. There are vast difference in electric rates throughout the US. I just did some calculations to do a PV array for my mother's place in Hawaii. It will pay for itself in 3 years without the state tax credit added in and without factoring in using it to charge an electric vehicle. Prices on PV have come way down and in a lot of places the rates of electricity are continuing to go up. But at the same time, it would take a lot longer for a system to pay for itself in, say, Pennsylvania, which has super low electric rates and doesn't get the same sun exposure that Hawaii does.

teddillard
    ^ yeah, see? take it back about my grammy, you big mean meanie you.

Noah, give me his email address so i can tell him to go live on the Gulf.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast