Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Show us your wiring diagrams!

Post Thanks / Like
    These diagrams have the great merit of showing the whole picture of what goes into a conversion. However, a schmuck like me end up with a lot of questions... I understand that these are reposts of previous schematics, lost back when the site went bonkers, and I appreciate you bringing that up again. However, it would be nice if you guys could point us newbies to a construction article, if it exists somewhere, so that I could observe and hopefully not have to bare my ignorance with dumb questions...
    Just an opinion, please don't be mad at this old guy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by billmi View Post
    As blindspot suggested, here's a revival of this thread topic.

I'll kick it off with my schematic. [/ATTACH]
    Buddy billmi, I have a coupla questions, ok?
    1) what does "cell-log MB" mean? is it part of the miniBMS?
    2) About the mini-BMS:
    a) how many cells per miniBMS?
    b) how many control boards?
    c) control board used: centralized or distributed?
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not billmi, but i'll try to answer some of your questions

Quote Originally Posted by eronsilva View Post
    Buddy billmi, I have a coupla questions, ok?
    1) what does "cell-log MB" mean? is it part of the miniBMS?
    The CellLog units are relatively cheap battery monitoring units that monitor and display individual battery voltages. There was a long thread on endless-sphere (i can't seem to find it right now) about them. There are two version: the '8S', which can monitor 8 cells, has some amount of storage, and a USB connector to download the data to a computer, and the '8M', which also does 8 cells, but doesn't have the storage or USB connection. More info can be found here: http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...itor_2-8S_Lipo, and here: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/vie...p?f=14&t=17189

Quote Originally Posted by eronsilva View Post
    2) About the mini-BMS:
    a) how many cells per miniBMS?
    b) how many control boards?
    c) control board used: centralized or distributed?
    Thanks!
    I obviously can't tell you about billmi's setup, but the MiniBMS has two methods: distributed (one monitor/shunt board mounted on each cell) or centralized (wires from each cell to an array of monitor/shunt boards in e centralized location). There is always one "control board" per setup. I believe that some of the distributed setups have the monitor/shunt boards and a "control board" on the same physical board.

In my setup, i'm using the distributed version, so i have 36 individual monitor/shunt boards and one control board.

Good luck.
    EVs: 2007 Zapino Scooter, Honda VF500 Conversion (electriceptor.wordpress.com), Red Nissan LEAF SL (Arrived!)

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    Buy the book: Build Your Own Electric Motorcycle

The use of the Cell logs is for monitring only and does not balance cells. It'l only tell you which ones are low/high. They're some logic circuitry required to get them to disconnect the contactor or set an alarm.

Post Thanks / Like

A sweetie or a lemon?

Diversion-black-right side.jpgThank you Tango and Frodus! Slowly I am getting the hand of it.
    At the risk of diverting this thread, I will make a question: what do you guys think of a yamaha XJ400 Diversion as donor?
    I stumbled at it while browsing a "second-hand everything" site in hebrew. Many guys here post ridiculously low prices just to jolt you on the phone with the question "are you serious about buying?". I find it rude, like the infamous "show me the money" stitch... Anyway, since the bike is from 1993, I called (the guy speaks english... lucky me!) and he answered that the price (around US$400) is right, because... one of the cylinders is cracked (whatever he means by that - I will go see the bike tomorrow). Anyway, I goggled it and found some info, like wheel bearings prone to wear, and "low power (@44HP) compared with the ninja 500 and other competitors at the time, but nothing serious or problematic with the behavior of the bike.
    The picture is one I got from the net (and it is a 600, not 400). The site did not let me copy the "actual" girl.
    Do you guys have any input to share?
    Last edited by eronsilva; 25 October 2010 at 1316. Reason: learning what "insert in line" means...

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    start a thread about your first build.... rather than 2 or 3 different threads. Believe me, it'l be much easier when you finally get down to buying stuff and you don't have to search in 10 places for something

Post Thanks / Like
    Finally sat down to revise my schematic....ninjaconversion_schematic_0.91.jpg

Here/s rev 0.91. I decided to simplify things a bit getting rid of the aux battery, in favor of a DC/DC converter alone for 12v power. I also added another relay so that the 72v to the controller's inputs is switched fully off, while the line to B+ is bridged with a resistor to trickle power into the capacitors.

As always, thoughts, feedback, wacky ideas and catching my mistakes are greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by billmi; 01 December 2010 at 1627.

Not to be taken seriously DaveAK's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've been kicking around the pros and cons of DC/DC and/or 12v auxillary battery. I'm planning on doing some tests tonight. I've also started sketching up my wiring diagram, but I need to find a nice, simple and free drawing package to lay it out with.

Post Thanks / Like
    I asked this a while back, it basically came down to the fact that if your traction pack goes down for any reason (DC/DC fails, contactor fails, battery short, other shorts, etc) and you don't have a battery, the entire electrical system will go out. The battery is more of an insurance policy so that if primary traction pack fails, you'll still have a working 12V electrical system. Honestly, this doesn't sem like as big of a deal as in a car (power steering/brakes), but it could certainly be an issue.

As for a drawing program, If you use a mac, OmniGraffle is what i used, and there is a trial version you can use.

Good Luck!
    EVs: 2007 Zapino Scooter, Honda VF500 Conversion (electriceptor.wordpress.com), Red Nissan LEAF SL (Arrived!)

jpanichella
    Quote Originally Posted by billmi View Post
    Finally sat down to revise my schematic....ninjaconversion_schematic_0.91.jpg

Here/s rev 0.91. I decided to simplify things a bit getting rid of the aux battery, in favor of a DC/DC converter alone for 12v power. I also added another relay so that the 72v to the controller's inputs is switched fully off, while the line to B+ is bridged with a resistor to trickle power into the capacitors.

As always, thoughts, feedback, wacky ideas and catching my mistakes are greatly appreciated.
    Looks pretty close to what I'm planning. Thanks for sharing this, it will help me tons with my diagram.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast