Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Electric Motorcycle Tax break to expire

Post Thanks / Like

Angry Electric Motorcycle Tax break to expire

Hi
    Last edited by seanece; 23 July 2018 at 0931.
    Famous Quotes....
    James May - "It's an ingenious solution to a problem that should never have existed in the first place!"
    BillMi - "Holy Cats! .... (it's) a death trap with extra killing sauce."
    Teresa Dillard - "I can't believe you (Ted) killed a Prius."

[10-09, 20:32] jpanichella: I was worried I was talking to myself
    [10-09, 20:45] EVcycle: you were I am a bot.....

Post Thanks / Like
    I just noticed the same report in the business section of my newspaper. A lot of other business deductions are going by the wayside too. They think Congress will reinstate the deductions retroactively later this year, as they have done in the past - but there is no guarantee of that. All of my congressional representatives like this EV credit but they won't be casting the deciding votes.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2011 Royal Enfield 500, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

3. Likes frodus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    ...or, you can allow the merits of electric vehicles to stand on their own and not seek favoritism from Big Brother at the expense of other taxpayers.

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    OK... Then stop subsidizing oil and see how well I've vehicles do....
    Travis

Post Thanks / Like
    In my opinion, a burgeoning technology that will have widespread benefits if more widely adopted is worth giving a push to. EVs fit that description. Its not taking advantage of other taxpayers to follow the path that Congress laid out by its exercise of their power over the pursestrings.

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Add furyphoto on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Garmo View Post
    ...or, you can allow the merits of electric vehicles to stand on their own and not seek favoritism from Big Brother at the expense of other taxpayers.
    Way to go troll guy with one post that joined the forum today just to add an uninformed opinion. Doesn't hold much value, especially since you won't even sign your name. If you don't think EV's are a good idea and deserve at least a tiny portion of the subsidies that Big Oil gets at the taxpayers expense, then why are you here? Please go troll somewhere else.
    Last edited by furyphoto; 01 January 2014 at 2357.
    -Andrew

http://www.andrewdoran.com
    mail(at)andrewdoran.com

My ElMoto Project "Electric Hurricane" - 1987 Honda CBR600 F1: Check out my Build ALBUM
    My ICE Cafe Racer Project "My Precious" - 1983 Honda CM400 Classic

Post Thanks / Like
    The article that I saw about the expiration of the EV tax credit (including cars and motorcycles) said that it cost the government only $1 million last year. This seems too little to me, but that is what was in the article. If that is the case, then that has got to be about the smallest tax break in the IRS tax code. No doubt Big Oil gets tax breaks totaling in the billions of dollars.

In any case, tax credit or no, I will continue to buy and ride electric motorcycles. They are just is just too much fun, too practical, have too few maintenance needs (compared with any IC vehicle), too convenient to operate and cost too little to run, compared with any other form of transportation other than a bicycle. Plus, I never have to go to a dirty, stinky, expensive gas station to refuel.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2011 Royal Enfield 500, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder if this is in response to the loss of the tax credit, or just slow sales?

https://www.brammo.com/buy/

Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder if the tax credit actually expired or was "accidentally" renewed when the budget was passed last week?

I received the Brammo sale email too. My thought is that it is in response to Zero's new bikes, with their price reductions on models that are comparable with their 2013 range. I also found it interesting that Brammo still had Empulse R bikes available. I thought those were a limited run that were sold out last summer. Also, I sure would be interested to know how many Empulses were sold last year, now that we know Zero made 667 total motorcycles during the past 26 months. It sure doesn't look like the electric motorcycle market is a very big one, which explains why the major manufacturers have not yet entered the field. If BMW waits any longer to introduce their e-scooter, whatever demand there is for such a vehicle in the U.S. is likely to be completely dried up this year, by Brammo and Zero sales, whose top of the range vehicles likely outperform the BMW scooter in all respects. I keep thinking that BMW was just fooling around with the scooter as a test bed for their EV car technology.

Post Thanks / Like
    Empulse R is definitely not a limited run. R and E1 are two distinct models.

Icon Spec32 is a limited run.
    2006 Suzuki GS500, sold
    2012 Zero S ZF9
    http://protomech.wordpress.com/