Power in Flux
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kawasaki ZX-6R Conversion - "Cholocycle"

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Kawasaki ZX-6R Conversion - "Cholocycle"

Hey guys,

Me and my friend are planning an electric conversion of a ZX-6R. Has anyone else done a conversion of this kinda bike around here?

We chose it cause of the wraparound frame and the size. We'll be running an AC-20 with a Sevcon Gen4Size6 controller. We haven't made a final decision on batteries but we'd like 72-80V and 5kWh+.

Some details are here: http://rjmelendez.blogspot.com/2013/...d-battery.html

Any recommendations on batteries? We'd like to spend less than 1k on the batteries if possible. We also are in need of s shaft dyno to tune the motor controller to the AC-20. Does anyone know of a friendly place dyno in Massachusetts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome and I love to see modern sportsbike conversions. Got an 03 R6 myself. I do have some concerns thou

I think you're going to have quite a bit of trouble tuning that controller once you get it setup with a dyno. Lots of features to fiddle with. Thou I think an induction motor may be slightly easier than an PM motor.

You're also asking for 5kWh for only $1000 which is $0.2/wh and basically unheard off. Cheapest ive seen is $0.3 for RC Lipo im hardcases. Or $0.4 for quality 18650 cells. Anything any cheaper either wont be powerful enough for your bike, weigh too much or will be very low quality.

I like the ideas behind the project and think you're on to something. Im just a bit worried that you may bite off more than you can chew and I want you to succeed.

Kyle

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
    Whats under my tank may shock you!!! R6 Build, Blog/, [/URL] OSU Current webpage

Post Thanks / Like
    Cheapest I've ever seen LiFePO4 is $0.40/Wh, and any other lithium chemistry starts at about $0.65/Wh without terminations. But in Australia we pay more cause we're suckers.

What is the largest square/rectangle you can fit inside the engine bay of the ZX-6? If you keep the pack under about 320 mm in width you shouldn't have any clearance issues, but the hight can get a bit much.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys, welcome to elmoto. Looks like a cool project.

Sometimes you can fine used batteries cheap, but you have to be really careful and only buy if you're sure about their history, that they haven't been abused.

Just curious - why not use a Curtis controller / AC-20 package from HPEVS? They do a really good job matching the motor/controller, will save you a lot of headaches.
    - Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    Welcome Robert and Viictor, this is Travis @ EMF-power you've been chatting to. Nice looking project. You'll need a bigger budget for 5kwh of batteries.

Noah, They got a Sevcon GEN4 already.... it would save headaches, but its what they have.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ah, got it. I'm interested to see how that works out with the Sevcon.
    - Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    At least they have the right sevcon with the right encoder input. It may turn out to be easier with induction. Looking at their other projects I think they'll be OK tuning it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frodus View Post
    At least they have the right sevcon with the right encoder input. It may turn out to be easier with induction. Looking at their other projects I think they'll be OK tuning it.
    Hey,

Yeah it turns out we have a Sevcon Gen4 Size6 that was given to us by a friend so to save money we are using it. Yeah the tuning is gonna be a pain but we'll have to suffer through it. Travis was gracious enough to let us buy just the motor from him! thanks travis!

Yeah I was pretty sure that $1000 for 5kWh was too cheap but we'll see what we can do with the next paycheck.

@jonescg I'll get back at you about the biggest rectangle we can fit (when im back in boston) but I think we can do at least 2-3 cubes of foot by foot by foot.

@NutsandVolts is your 03 R6 electric or gas? If electric I'd love to see some pics of the conversion!

Post Thanks / Like
    Sup 'berto.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have to agree I think the ac induction motor will be easier to tune. Based on how the control works and what ive seen in the gen4 manual. I almost went down that road with the eassist motor, but just couldn't take the time to do it.

Anyways my build is here. http://www.elmoto.net/showthread.php?t=1906. Havent updated in awhile, but I've been at work upgrading things. Will try to get an update with more pics this week.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
    Whats under my tank may shock you!!! R6 Build, Blog/, [/URL] OSU Current webpage

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast