Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  16
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Putting together a GPR-S

Post Thanks / Like
    I've still been riding the bike when I have opportunity but that hasn't been much lately. I've been out of state for some travel and rarely need to go anywhere solo since I quit my day job about two months ago. I am hoping to go to the event that Kraig Schultz is organizing in Ohio July 10th, but my bike is not capable of keeping up with the pack. I would like to add some more fast charging capability to help with that, since I think I can do that faster and more easily than a ton of aeromods (also $$$). Hence the ESP-120 business in the above post.

I wired up the CN50 connectors for current-share mode for the RSPs and need to un-modify the one since who knows what my little shunt resistor hack will play hell with in current share mode. I wish I'd been able to desolder and save that resistor, but my little 40w iron wasn't up to it. I'll have to substitute somehow- maybe I'll do it like larger shunt resistors are, with a piece of copper tuned to the appropriate value with an abrasive cutting disc. :eep: Where's my dremel?

I don't think I'll be able to find a place to mount the ESP-120 on the bike, unfortunately, so this will be an off-board DC Fast charging station. Since that's the case, I'd like to wire things up so that I can still 2kW charge without it, which means things will get interested with the current share wiring and I'll need a way to reconfigure the RSPs to series instead of parallel on the fly. Probably Anderson connectors.

Edit: Forgot to add- I fixed a wire that had pulled out the Molex connector for the DeltaQ, and had some hopes that this might have been the problem that caused my low-current charging. Alas, despite some evidence of arcing inside the connector and the fact that the crimp was bad (both were redone and soldered after crimping), no change in the charger's behavior resulted. Also, I realized I cannot go to the July 10th Vetter event, since I have an appointment speak at a church that morning. Can't skip that!
    Last edited by nedfunnell; 14 June 2016 at 1215.

Post Thanks / Like
    Latest:

Cooked the ESP-120 somehow while soldering output wires on. Not sure what happened, but it gives me no output voltage now. Lame! All I did was solder onto the terminals, no idea how that killed it, or if it was something else. This was during prep for the Vetter Challenge, that I did end up riding in. Rescheduled my speaking engagement. I called it a day at the halfway point, though, because I had a different appointment to make that afternoon. I doubt I could have finished the course with the group, though, for want of fast charging or more range. Still a neat experience.

I made up a J1772 to L6-30 adapter, with integrated signal circuitry:

J1772 adapter1.jpg

J1772 adapter2.jpg

The mini switch under the J1772 receptacle is for signalling on or off. The diode and resistors are inside the connectors, heat shrunk and tucked in with the conductors.

I need to ride to a public J1772 and give it a shot sometime soon. I have not been home much, travelling a lot this summer. This might come in handy later for a longer trip.

Post Thanks / Like
    Since I last posted:
    The bike is mostly unchanged. I did have a successful test of the J1772 adapter on the first try. I have been riding as weather allows. I moved to Ephraim, UT, which is 65 miles from the nearest public L2 site, and doesn't have any opportunities to charge between here and there. I have been just riding locally, but may venture further after May, when an RV park north of here opens that could allow me to go farther. I have been thinking about faster charging hardware. I have the old APS-162 42v server PSUs that I am going to experiment with putting in series with my RSP-1000-48s to get me up to ~4kW charging. Those power supplies are too big to put on the bike, though, so they'd have to be pre-positioned somewhere for fast charging. I've been told the RSP-1000s can only sag about 20-30% from their setpoint in CC mode, which may be a problem if I discharge below ~82v from my 91v HVC. We'll see.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Ned, Was the cable chewed up by the chain the reason for the stuttering motor?
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Remind me what stuttering you mean?

Post Thanks / Like
    So I modded my Prius to get a tap into the hybrid battery. This gives me 200-250VDC, which the meanwells are content to accept. (Most switch-mode power supplies are) Although it can source 21kW peak, I can only take 3kW from the pack continuously because that's all the gas engine puts back into it when charging. I could potentially draw 4kW for a just a little while, with the battery making up the extra current, but that wouldn't last long with the Prius' 1.3kW pack. However, a friend who saw my project and happened to have some Prius batteries sitting around is going to give those to me- maybe I can add a second battery to my Prius for additional charging possibilities.

IMG_20170910_173216272_HDR.jpg

Here is a video describing the project: https://youtu.be/I0_cnJo7YIc
    Last edited by nedfunnell; 17 September 2017 at 1336.

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617