Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  6
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Open source 3 Phase Inverter

Post Thanks / Like

Open source 3 Phase Inverter

I have obtained a opensource inverter kit. The hardware parts, without power electronics. I got my kit from : http://johanneshuebner.com/quickcms/...nverter,8.html

The kit looks well layed out.

Before the hardwork

Result, the only thing missing from the control hardware is the "brain" an stm32-h103, which is still safe in its box.

Mainboard, this houses all the interface for the signals to the stm32 and a powersupply (7-20v). There are a few in and outputs which are software controlable (contactors, precharge, lights) also the inputs are housed on this board (throttle 0-5v brake 0-5v and a few others).

This is the driverboard, it converts the pwm 3,3v from the stm32 to 15v-/15v+ to drive the IGBTS

This is the sensorboard, it contains two hall current sensors, a temperature sensor and resistor network divider for the HV side.

Besides the kit you of course need some HV goodies. For this i have an broke think city inverter containing 400A/600V IGBTS and capacitors, at my work we also have a few packs i can use as HV supply (350v nom).

This inverter is designed to run opensource software based on FOC code, so its designed to run an AC induction motor with encoder. Luckly at work we just have such a thing laying on the shelf left over from a project.

I started this project because i want to get my hands back on building/designing hardware and coding, currently in my role as engineer im mostly working in cad or having design meetings. Yet i love software and hardware.
    The things i want to accomplish/incorporate into the project:
    1. Get the AC motor spinning
    2. Get the STM32 canbus working
    3. Run the STM32 libary for PM motors and run a motor
    4. Design a main board for ACIM and BLDC inputs

I will try to keep this topic upto date on my progress and findings, im open for help/ideas

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Visit SplinterOz's Youtube Channel
    Nice I am looking forward to seeing how it works out. A guy on youtube is making one of these for his BMW car.
    SplinterOz
    From Australia'a Capital
    http://rgelectric.wordpress.com/

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    My buddy got that too... He hasn't built it yet but I got him some igbts a few caps... Looks like a decent diy setup.

Just make sure you do thermal calcs and get some decent cooling!
    Travis

Post Thanks / Like
    Today i had time at work to strip the inverter/ dc/dc converter / Charger of all its oem parts (except igbts) and start mounting the kit parts. Tomorrow im going to do some initial test to see if i can get a test setup working before investing in decent busbars and proper capacitors.

As for thermal calcs, none done yet. As the IGBT's are not mine and the same for the motor, i wont put any big loads on them for a while. Im planning on building a smd version of the hardware before i build my final inverter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Progress today, i built up the complete setup. Don't mind the mess for now, its an ongoing project.

The massive slab should have no problem absorbing the heat from the igbt's switching to get the motor to spin up with out load.

The test beauty, weighs about a kilo or 40. How ever the rotor spins with ease.

Hit a few snags today, my current sensors are reading all over the place, so its time to swap the flatcable for twisted pairs. If this doesnt reduce the issue i will have to check my soldering and the rest of the circuit for faults.

6. Likes Spoonman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I love DIY controllers. Any progress lately

Post Thanks / Like
    I got an working scope. But the scope is at my parents and the inverter at my work. And were in the middle of switching housing at work so not allot of time to work on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good news, I switched jobs and got tied up in doing other things. However today i had sometime to spend on my controller.

It works, atleast the complete logic bits, i get a nice squarewave -15 +15 volts.

This means its time to start on building the HV components and casing for further testing.
    Parts ordered or on the shelf;
    -heat sink aluminium billet (will mount igbt's this weekend)
    -plastic for more permanent logic hardware setup.
    -Snubbers and capacitor for HV bus
    -Brass bus bar material on its way

I now have to get a test motor organized and power supply to continue my testing and experimentation.
    Attached Images Attached Images

10. Likes Athlon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Built the high voltage section for my controller. The heatsink is just a solid chunk of aluminium which I will mill on a later date.

Now i have to find a test motor to make any further testing possible.

According to the igbt specs and cap limit, it should take 400V and 400A (160kw).

I wonder how close i can get to this figure.

Next on the list is mounting the logic hardware over the HV hardware.
    Attached Images Attached Images

12. Likes SplinterOz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Visit SplinterOz's Youtube Channel
    Great progress... looking forward to seeing the motor test.
    SplinterOz
    From Australia'a Capital
    http://rgelectric.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast