Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  9
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Kawasaki EX500 Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey man,

Ive been following your build, I had the same concern about the throttle lag. Thanks for asking the question, I learned a lot from podolefsky's post!

Quote Originally Posted by nedfunnell View Post
    I've got a DeltaQ QuiQ 1kW charger which has the DCi DC/DC converter option on it, which is a neat way to handle that as long as the charger is onboard.
    What voltage QuiQ do you have? I love the DC/DC option on those.

For BMS I'm keeping it pretty simple (and low-capabilty)- a set of four Cell-Logs from HK: Cell-Log 8M Cell Voltage Monitor (2S-8S) Lipo
    I am leaning toward this setup myself, since I plan on making a sort of BMS myself later on.

Thanks again man!
    Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm planning on putting an 11 module Leaf battery in my EV Buell Blast this summer hopefully. But as mentioned above BMS is an issue. I have thought that It wouldn't be difficult to wire 33 sense leads to all the terminal leads (3 per module) and have them go to an Arduino Mega that would one-by-one turn on the necessary cells that need to bleed and direct the current via a large current transistor to a large high current resistor.

This is something that you could have wired to a dash switch, so every week or so you just leave the pack to balance all night as the Arduino goes cell-by-cell bleeding power off.

Also a side note, I HIGHLY recommend the Meanwell HLG family of LED driver / chargers. I have experimented with EV's for 8 years now and can say that most all Chinese built chargers are crap.

Good luck with the build! looks like you got a good setup so far.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeReal View Post
    Hey man,

Ive been following your build, I had the same concern about the throttle lag. Thanks for asking the question, I learned a lot from podolefsky's post!

What voltage QuiQ do you have? I love the DC/DC option on those.

I am leaning toward this setup myself, since I plan on making a sort of BMS myself later on.

Thanks again man!
    Joe
    I have a 72v QuiQ, which has been reprogrammed by Frodus (aka emf-power.com) to have multiple algorithms in it- it's currently set to 91.19v. We'll see if the Alltrax is willing to operate at that. If not, there is an 89.82v algorithm I can use. A very slight loss of capacity, but that's OK.

I went to the garage last night intending to wire up the Cell-log "BMS", but found it wasn't going to go the way I wanted to. I'd been hoping to find a way to still be able to use the Cell-logs screen so I could check which cell was low without opening things up and pulling out a DMM, but I don't think that's going to be possible- there's nowhere to put it. I'd also been hoping to make it at least partially waterproof, but that's also going to be more difficult than I originally thought. Putting them in a waterproof enclosure necessitates a waterproof 23-conductor (at least) through-panel connector- and my batteries themselves are not waterproof anyway. I'm not sure what most elmoto builders do about waterproofing.

Post Thanks / Like

Kawasaki EX500 Build

Hey Tony!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyHelms View Post
    . I have thought that It wouldn't be difficult to wire 33 sense leads to all the terminal leads (3 per module) and have them go to an Arduino Mega
    This is definitely something I'd love to follow the project on!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyHelms View Post
    . Also a side note, I HIGHLY recommend the Meanwell HLG family of LED driver / chargers.
    Noted. Thanks man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    It's currently set to 91.19v. We'll see if the Alltrax is willing to operate at that.
    Im very curious to see how this turns out! I'll definitely be watching.

Hopefully Podolefsky can chime in- I haven't had time to read fully, but isn't seems that without reprogramming the controller, it seems to have a pretty strict 90v cutoff.

http://elmoto.net/general/1096-84v-p...ontroller.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeReal View Post
    Im very curious to see how this turns out! I'll definitely be watching.

Hopefully Podolefsky can chime in- I haven't had time to read fully, but isn't seems that without reprogramming the controller, it seems to have a pretty strict 90v cutoff.

http://elmoto.net/general/1096-84v-p...ontroller.html

I'll update with what I find. When I programmed the controller tonight, the data the controller read for voltage was about 1.6v lower than what my CycleAnalyst said, so maybe I will be helped by that as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Kawasaki EX500 Build

Ok, guys. I had a pretty eventful weekend. I got the motor mount on the bike, motor attached, front sprocket on, chain on, tested the motor with the controller, made a battery box for 4 of the 6 SLA batteries, connected it all to the bike and took my first ride!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Great work, Joe! It's so exhilarating to ride your project for the first time! So that's the performance on 48v, and you're going to go up to 60v? Awesome.

I am concerned about that sound. Do you have your chain too tight? It should have some slack- the EX500 manual will tell you how much, but it's generally something like 20-30 mm of free up/down motion in the middle of the chain when the rear suspension is compressed. I think the sound I'm hearing too too much chain tension.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, lol. I do have it too tight. I realized it just after that run. I tensioned it while there was no batteries and almost no weight, so I went a littler tighter than I should. Definitely need to loosen.
    And I'm going with 72v, possibly 84v! Lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Quick question: So, I only have 3 x 55ah SLAs and 3 x 35ah SLAs that I will install temporarily until I get the leaf cells; now, should I connect them all in series, monitor each battery's voltage and when one of the 35ah battery's voltage hits its safe bottom limit (which should be 11.5V?) switch off the 35ah pack and just run on the 55ah pack to increase my range?

Thanks again for all the help guys. You guys are amazing!

Joe

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast