Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  9
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Kawasaki EX500 Build

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Add furyphoto on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by nedfunnell View Post
    I have a 72v QuiQ, which has been reprogrammed by Frodus (aka emf-power.com) to have multiple algorithms in it- it's currently set to 91.19v. We'll see if the Alltrax is willing to operate at that. If not, there is an 89.82v algorithm I can use. A very slight loss of capacity, but that's
    I was hoping I might be able to get by with the 91.25v algorithm on my elcon charger. I hooked up some RC batteries in series to see what the 7245 would do. At first I though I would get away with it, I thought the KSI decided when to shut the controller off. I had 92.4v on the KSI and got the green light.

But, I didn't have the B+ connected. A closer look at the manual and it's the voltage across the B- and B+ that restricts the controller. Sure enough, with 91.2 volts across the B terminals I got the HV error (7 red flashes) at 89.4v it was green.

Next step is to see how much the cells settle. It won't have to be much per cell for it to fall below 90v. 91.25 / 22 cells is only 0.057v of settling per cell to get the
    controller on. For you even a bit less.
    Last edited by furyphoto; 23 March 2015 at 2152.
    -Andrew

http://www.andrewdoran.com
    mail(at)andrewdoran.com

My ElMoto Project "Electric Hurricane" - 1987 Honda CBR600 F1: Check out my Build ALBUM
    My ICE Cafe Racer Project "My Precious" - 1983 Honda CM400 Classic

Post Thanks / Like
    Wouldn't voltage sag take up that 2% when you start up you auxiliary system anyway?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by furyphoto View Post
    I was hoping I might be able to get by with the 91.25v algorithm on my elcon charger.
    I'm going to move my response over to my build thread in order to avoid derailing Joe's.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeReal View Post
    Quick question: So, I only have 3 x 55ah SLAs and 3 x 35ah SLAs that I will install temporarily until I get the leaf cells; now, should I connect them all in series, monitor each battery's voltage and when one of the 35ah battery's voltage hits its safe bottom limit (which should be 11.5V?) switch off the 35ah pack and just run on the 55ah pack to increase my range?

Thanks again for all the help guys. You guys are amazing!

Joe

Hmm- probably, but realize you'll be operating at less than half speed, since you'll be using half as many, partially depleted batteries. I'd treat it as an "Oh crap" option to get home or to a plug, not a regular practice. Also, I presume your diagram intentionally omits the controller for simplicity, rather than you intending to use on/off control.

Lastly, you may need to reprogram the 7245 for the low voltage cutoff point, it may not be happy to run at 36v nominal, dipping down lower at low SOC and under load.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the reply Ned! Yes, I omitted the controller and many other components from that circuit. Just used it to illustrate what I was trying to explain.
    I plan on using it as a last ditch effort to get to a charger, rather than go below the 35ah lower limits.
    Thanks again man.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys, so I think I need larger gauge wire, what would you recommend? Me1003 and axe7245; might go up to 90v, but needs to be ok at 72v.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Just an update pic. I am riding it as much as possible (around the neighborhood, not registered yet) so much fun.

This is with 5 batteries.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Guys, quick question-

In the US, do I have to have the car re-inspected or can I just take it to a registration place and get it registered? I will have a new odometer, but can spin it to get the same amount of miles as when bought.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, update time!

I got the bike registered! One of the SLA batteries I am using hold less of a charge than the others, so I am only getting ~20 miles on a charge. But that doesn't matter much since...

I got my 11 leaf modules in!!!

I haven't taken them out of the crate because of finals, but plan to next week. A couple quick questions-

The half packs are supposed to be at 3.0v so should I confirm and make them all 3.0v if not, then charge them individually to 4.2v or since I'm bottom balancing them, I should charge them as a pack until one of them half modules hits 4.2?

Also, should my top be 4.2v or should I stop charging at 4.1v?

4.2*22= 92.4v
    4.1*22= 90.2v

Thanks for the help guys.

Behind the Redwood Curtain- REDWOOD ORIGINAL!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Joe, I thought the Axe maxes out at 90 v. I'm sure others with leaf cells can chime in, but keeping your pack 90v should give you longer service life.
    Original build: http://vorworxemc.wix.com/vorworx
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast