Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  9
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Kawasaki EX500 Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Jonny!
    I just found out that my school's machine shop has a welder that can weld aluminum! Now, I have no clue how to weld, let alone aluminum; what better time to learn!

I'm thinking a front aluminum plate, small side alum. plates attached to the front plate and a steel bottom plate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeReal View Post
    Thanks Jonny!
    I just found out that my school's machine shop has a welder that can weld aluminum! Now, I have no clue how to weld, let alone aluminum; what better time to learn!

I'm thinking a front aluminum plate, small side alum. plates attached to the front plate and a steel bottom plate.

Does your school have a sheet metal brake? You can actually brake bend certain aluminum alloys (5052 comes to mind) and you can even brake bend lexan. If you're welding aluminum, chances are you'll either be using a MIG setup with a spool gun or a TIG welder. Both of those are going to require a lot of practice, particularly TIG.

Post Thanks / Like

Kawasaki EX500 Build

My buddy has a brake. Something like this -
    http://m.harborfreight.com/36-inch-m...not%20provided
    I was hoping to bend the box; what gauge 5052 do you think I can get away with?
    We have both a Mig and Tig.
    I'm thinking something like this-

but I have to move the pack back some because I want to put a slight bend in the front panel for, at least, a tiny bit of aerodynamics. If I brake hard, the front tire will come very close to the pack, as it is.
    Thanks for the help man.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've brake bent 1/8" 5052 no problem. Chances are adding a slight curve or crown to the front of the panel will be more of a headache than it's worth. I'd make some iterations out of cardstock, cardboard, or foam core and you can trace that and use it as a template.

Post Thanks / Like
    So how do you like the leaf batteries? Where did you source them? I'm thinking of upgrading to them. I often wish I had used the EX500 instead of the EX250. More room! phil
    2003 Ninja 250EX, Agni #95R, 6:1 Gearing, 11 Leaf Modules.
    Alltrax SPM72400, 400 amp Controller, all LED lighting
    2014 CRF450X Supermoto
    http://www.evalbum.com/1955
    http://www.evalbum.com/3337

6. Likes Nicman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Panic View Post
    I've brake bent 1/8" 5052 no problem. Chances are adding a slight curve or crown to the front of the panel will be more of a headache than it's worth. I'd make some iterations out of cardstock, cardboard, or foam core and you can trace that and use it as a template.
    I'd drawing up the box now on solid works, I'll see what you think when I'm done.
    I'm glad to hear, I was hoping to use 1/8.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DRZ400 View Post
    So how do you like the leaf batteries? Where did you source them? I'm thinking of upgrading to them. I often wish I had used the EX500 instead of the EX250. More room! phil
    Hey Phil, thanks for stopping by. I must have looked at your bike 100 times on evalbum when I was researching mine lol
    The Leaf Cells are absolutely amazing. Now, I have little to compare them, but they charge and discharge extremely evenly, they are well built. (I do wish they were slightly more robust and am always afraid I am going to put too much torque on the lead bolts) That being said.... They are powerful, light and very easy to work with.
    Having the ex500 was a godsend. First there are parts galore on ebay, very easy to work with, as Im sure you know, but best thing, the most amazing thing, is that the width of the frame is 8.75"... The leaf cells are exactly 8.75". Perfect!!
    I could not have asked for a better mounting option than that... seriously.

Let me know if I you have any other questions.

-joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Joe, Where did you source your cells?
    MIG welding steel is VERY easy....I did mine with no welding experience and a $120 110v MIG (no gas).
    I count 12 modules in your bike picture?? I thought the Alltrex only went to 90 volts?
    2003 Ninja 250EX, Agni #95R, 6:1 Gearing, 11 Leaf Modules.
    Alltrax SPM72400, 400 amp Controller, all LED lighting
    2014 CRF450X Supermoto
    http://www.evalbum.com/1955
    http://www.evalbum.com/3337

Post Thanks / Like
    Phil, I got mine from hybridautocenter.com, but they said they were not expecting to fm receive anymore after mine were shipped. I checked a few times; they have not.

Good to hear about the MIG. I'm usually good with that type of stuff, so I'm hopeful.

I am using 11 modules @ at 4.14v, which should be at ~91V but the Altrax reads it as ~89.8V! So that works out pretty well.
    The 12th module will be boosting to 12v for my accessories. I am planning on all LED lighting as well as multiple control units, touchscreen, digital gauges, etc, so I don't want them leaching power from my pack.

Post Thanks / Like

Kawasaki EX500 Build

Hey guys, I just bought a mean well hrp-600-48 for a great price on eBay.... Welp, I don't think it works... The output voltage fluctuates between the max set voltage and about 60% then back to max...

Anyone have any ideas?

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast