Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Kawasaki EX500 Build

Post Thanks / Like

Kawasaki EX500 Build

Hey Guys,

I started this thread to share my projects, but to also compile my thoughts and would love your feedback, thoughts, ideas, questions, suggestions for projects.. anything really.

I'm a (33 yo) Mechanical Engineering student and plan to use this build for some school projects.

I will be updating this Post with my build updates, pics and Parts Ordered

Current Status Picture

BW Garage.jpg

My Build (Bold= Owned already or ordered)

• Donor Bike: 2005 Kawasaki EX500 Ninja
    • Motor: Motenergy ME1003
    • Controller: Thinking about getting a Kelly HPM12601 120v 600a with regen
    • Solenoid: SW200 72 volt Solenoid
    • Batteries: Leaf Cells 12 charged to 100v
    • Throttle: Magura
    • Charger: ( Ibuilt one out of 3 Meanwell power supplys)
    • Sprockets: 10T, 11T, 13T #530 (I machined them to match Rear #520)
    • BMS: ? (Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated)
    • DC/DC: ? (Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated)

Auxiliary Part to consider

• Digital Speedometer to mount in tank shell (Suggestions?)
    • Main Arduino board for CA (Suggestions?)

Auxiliary Part Purchased

• 12v to 5v DC converter USB ports
    • LCD Screen for Arduino
    • Bluetooth module for Arduino

If you got this far in this post, thank you for sticking around. lol

Progress Picture

1.jpg 4.jpg Attachment 6415 Attachment 6416
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Joe!

Looks like a fun build! I like the 72400 over the 7245, but either will work well for your ME1003. You should be able to get to school and back on the top half of those 55Ahr SLAs under 45mph with no trouble. For DC-DC the Vicor VI-200 series is popular because it has an enable which floats high (~16V off) and pulls low (on) so you can use a 12V switch like the stock key switch to turn it on.

Steve

3. Likes JoeReal liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Add furyphoto on Facebook
    The 7245 has a max input of 90v so you can use 10 fully charged leaf modules (84v) or 11 slightly undercharged modules to get to 90v. 11(22 series cells) modules fully charged is 92.4v. to get it down to the 90v where the controller maxes out you undercharge slightly to 4.09v/cell. You don't lose much capacity at all at the very top of the charge, and undercharging might actually extend your cell life (as long as you are not discharging too low on a regular basis)

I would recommend 11 modules, that's what I bought for my 7245 controlled build.

Either of these options will be overvolting the specs on the ME1003 a bit at full throttle. Others have run this motor at 100v, I'm not too concerned about it failing, but you will have to make your own decision about that.
    -Andrew

http://www.andrewdoran.com
    mail(at)andrewdoran.com

My ElMoto Project "Electric Hurricane" - 1987 Honda CBR600 F1: Check out my Build ALBUM
    My ICE Cafe Racer Project "My Precious" - 1983 Honda CM400 Classic

5. Likes JoeReal liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Steve!

Quote Originally Posted by Skahle View Post
    You should be able to get to school and back on the top half of those 55Ahr SLAs under 45mph with no trouble.
    Steve
    This is REALLY good to hear! I was really worried I wouldnt be able to make it until I could afford the Leaf Modules

Quote Originally Posted by Skahle View Post
    For DC-DC the Vicor VI-200 series is popular because it has an enable which floats high (~16V off) and pulls low (on) so you can use a 12V switch like the stock key switch to turn it on. Steve
    I can definitely see the benefit of having that ability. I'll check them out!

Thanks for the info man!

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Andrew!

I have been following your Hurricane Build, great info, very cool project!

Quote Originally Posted by furyphoto View Post
    The 7245 has a max input of 90v so you can use 10 fully charged leaf modules (84v) or 11 slightly undercharged modules to get to 90v. 11(22 series cells) modules fully charged is 92.4v.
    I plan on making my own charger at school that I will be able to set the cutoffs for each cell at 4.09v, but in the mean time, what charger are you using? Do you charge each individually or as a pack to 90v?

Thanks for the Reply man!

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll chime in because I'm using pretty much the same setup as well.

BMS: I'm planning on using MiniBMS, which can be purchased with HVC of 4.2 for chemistries like the leaf cells. There are 2 flavors, I'm planning on using the semi-distributed 4S boards (I'm going with 10 modules, so I'll be using 5 of them for 20S) or the fully distributed boards. It's a fairly popular BMS.

For the charger I'll be going with 2 of these Meanwell 42V LED Drivers wired in series, to achieve 84V. They have trim pots on them so you adjust both current and output voltage. You can get lower wattage ones if the size is an issue.

http://www.meanwell.com/search/HLG-6...-600H-spec.pdf

And I'll give another recommendation for the Vicor DC/DC converters. They're small, isolated, and can be found very cheap on ebay if you keep your eyes peeled (I got mine for $20 shipped). Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm working on a build not entirely different from yours: http://elmoto.net/tell-us-about-your...tting-gpr.html

I think you'll have a better time than me with that 1003 motor and 7245 controller combo rather than my 0709 motor and 7234 controller. I am using Leaf batteries- 11 modules for ~90v, the max of the controller. I've got a DeltaQ QuiQ 1kW charger which has the DCi DC/DC converter option on it, which is a neat way to handle that as long as the charger is onboard.

For BMS I'm keeping it pretty simple (and low-capabilty)- a set of four Cell-Logs from HK: Cell-Log 8M Cell Voltage Monitor (2S-8S) Lipo

It will allow an output to be activated when a cell reaches a programmed voltage level, which I plan to set up with a bright red light to tell me to pull over and charge soon as a lower limit. Definitely not bulletproof, kind of just one shade better than going completely BMS-less.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Panic View Post
    BMS: I'm planning on using MiniBMS, which can be purchased with HVC of 4.2 for chemistries like the leaf cells.
    I definitely like those; going to look further into them!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Panic View Post
    For the charger I'll be going with 2 of these Meanwell 42V LED Drivers wired in series, to achieve 84V.
    They're kinda pricey :/ Where do you recommend buying them?

Thanks for the help, man!
    Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Cheapest I've found them is $200 a piece:

HLG-600 | Mean Well HLG-600 | USA Warehouse

It ends up being comparable in price to the quiq charger, but it's smaller and you have control over current and voltage. Everything I've read about the cheaper chargers from ecitypower and bmsbattery indicates they aren't very reliable and tend to break. The meanwells are durable, sealed, and weatherproof.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the link and info. If I plan to go with 11 packs at ~90v, should I get a 48 and a 42 and wire them in series?
    I read your thread saying you're going to put these on-board, right? If I am am tight for space on board (and cash lol) and will have plenty of time to charge, could I get away with a hlg-240h-42A and 48A?

What Input voltage would you suggest on the Vicor if I go with 11 leaf cells at 92.4Vmax?

Thanks again!

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast