Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Need a high power DC-DC converter or battery pack tap

Status-free and luvin' it
    Post Thanks / Like

Need a high power DC-DC converter or battery pack tap

Running a 96V main pack (192 Headway cells) in the Black Widow reverse trike.

Along with the typical 12V requirements for lighting, contactors, etc. I also have an onboard air suspension setup with compressor/electronic controls, and stereo system rated at 1600W continuous (although majority of the time will be way below this but it IS a show vehicle so brief moments of showing off are to be expected).

Looks like Vicor has a 1600W DC-DC converter off the shelf for simplicity's sake, price may be the determining factor here as I have not seen a price on a 96-12 DC converter (FUlly loaded DC MegaPaC)

I have thought about running a separate 12V pack for the accessories; not sold on the idea simply because of additional charging and battery management needed but it's not a deal breaker.

I also thought about using 8 taps on the main 96V pack, one at each 12V group. This way the whole pack is tapped, not just a single point location causing balancing issues. These taps would all run to bus bars for parallel connection yielding a high power capable 12V output. I'm not 100% sure how to isolate these taps to keep them from trying to charge each other, I don't know if diodes are sufficient or if I need something more sophisticated. Either way this method gets the most complex but with three years into building a rolling chassis, I'm not worried about doing work.

Any thoughts from those with more experience in pack set-ups?

Thanks in advance!
    Mike Pipes
    - Currently under analysis paralysis.

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    I'd go with the 12v battery charged by a smaller than 1600w dc-dc converter. Something that ought to let you show off, but not break the bank. That's a very high dc-dc rating.

I'll look around tomorrow. Email me and I'll see if I can find something for you.

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Add furyphoto on Facebook
    I'd go with the 12v battery option too, it's the easiest to manage.

Maybe RC lipo or A123 26650 or 18650's for their High C rating to get you to your 1600w requirement in a small package.

I have an extra Curtis 250w DC-DC . If you go this route let me know. If you think it will work for you, I'll give you a bargain. I just ordered a much smaller Vicor for my bike today, so this thing is just taking up space and needs to go.
    Last edited by furyphoto; 21 April 2015 at 2313.
    -Andrew

http://www.andrewdoran.com
    mail(at)andrewdoran.com

My ElMoto Project "Electric Hurricane" - 1987 Honda CBR600 F1: Check out my Build ALBUM
    My ICE Cafe Racer Project "My Precious" - 1983 Honda CM400 Classic

Post Thanks / Like
    Meanwell makes a 1000W DCDC, the SD-1000H-12. About $250 each. Not sealed, not sure if that matters. I'm not sure if they can be paralleled, but if so you could have 2000W for about $500.
    - Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

Status-free and luvin' it
    Post Thanks / Like

Need a high power DC-DC converter or battery pack tap

Thanks guys!

I think a smaller DCDC plus 12v pack wins out. Think there is need to use two of them, one dedicated to the main electrical systems, and another for the accessories?

The air compressor has a 30amp inline fuse so figure 400w right there. Stereo will probably need 300w for regular listening. Both of those are transient loads though, the compressor runs about 3 minutes to fill an air tank from empty and after that maybe a minute to top off. Probably be ok with 400w available then any additional need just let it buffer off the small pack.
    Last edited by mpipes; 22 April 2015 at 1258.
    Mike Pipes
    - Currently under analysis paralysis.

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    With the low voltage and high wattage there's not a lot out there. Maybe get the 1000w meanwell and a 12v pack that can handle the surges and you should be ok.