Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Arduino Vehicle Controls / BMS Thread

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Add furyphoto on Facebook

Arduino Vehicle Controls / BMS Thread

I see a few members here and there mention that they are planning an Arduino this or that or BMS for their builds.

I'm doing this too, and I thought I would create a place for us to share Arduino developments that might be helpful to others.

If you are working on an Arduino project for your build, please feel free to share it here!

I'll start.

I am planning a complete Arduino vehicle control system eventually. Speed, amps, voltage info displays, charging control, Ignition and start-up sequences, fingerprint vehicle access, eventually BMS, and control of the 12v systems too, lights etc.

I'm fairly new to Arduino, but I find the basic stuff is pretty straightforward and there are lots of resources to help. I like that you can make a small project to figure out how to use a sensor like the fingerprint scanner, and then incorporate it into a larger program. That's how I'm making slow but steady progress on my system.

The first project I tackled was a 12v system control unit for my ICE bike. Sort of a Poor Mans Motogadget M-Unit. I figured it was a good starter project and first step towards my EV control system. I will be installing the first one in an ICE bike in a week or two, here it is:

I'm using an Arduino Pro Mini, an FTDI board for programming (easy software upgrades), a variable voltage regulator to turn the bikes 12-14v into a steady 5v for the arduino, and an 8 relay breakout board. It controls all of the lighting, horn, and starter solenoid. I have routed the input from the front handlebar controls through a network cable to simplify the wiring harness, each control now simply grounds the appropriate wire when it is switched on. The speed of the flashing of lights, etc is all software controlled, and I've added a few clever tricks like turning all the lights off when the starter is pressed to send all available juice to turn over the engine, and multi clicks on the brake handle to turn on hazard flashers or parking lights.
    I'm planning to add a hall sensor for auto cancelling turn signals after the bike has traveled a certain distance, and maybe an accelerometer/gyro for crash, fall over shut off and engine braking activated brake light when the bike slows down quickly. Maybe an auto high beam dimmer with a photocell and an RFID ignition. The possibilities are endless really!

If anyone is interested in the code (it's a bit messy at the moment), let me know. Eventually this will mutate into my EV vehicle control system
    -Andrew

http://www.andrewdoran.com
    mail(at)andrewdoran.com

My ElMoto Project "Electric Hurricane" - 1987 Honda CBR600 F1: Check out my Build ALBUM
    My ICE Cafe Racer Project "My Precious" - 1983 Honda CM400 Classic

2. Likes SplinterOz, Lex liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow -UP- on Tumblr Visit -UP-'s Youtube Channel
    Nice. I'll also use Arduinos and ATtinys on my build. I don't have much to share yet, but I'll post it, when I have some progress.

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Visit SplinterOz's Youtube Channel
    This is cool. I have a m-unit on my bike and it simplifies things immensely. I am considering a similar unit for the car conversion along with a custom 7 inch TFT screen for the dash.
    SplinterOz
    From Australia'a Capital
    http://rgelectric.wordpress.com/

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow ElMotoMike On Twitter Add ElMotoMike on Facebook
    Visit ElMotoMike's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by furyphoto View Post
    If anyone is interested in the code (it's a bit messy at the moment), let me know.
    I have built a lot of things with Arduinos for the last few years now. They are extremely useful boards. I wouldnt mind checking out your code.
    - Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm still Arduino virgin but I would like to get started. I would like to read the current frequency, amplitude and direction on a motor phase and convert it to a variable audible signal in my helmet speaker.

Let's see where I get with this.
    Regards from Switzerland
    My 2.5 Upgrade Thread

Behind the Redwood Curtain- REDWOOD ORIGINAL!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Arduino virgins like myself could benefit from a list of resource/educational links. Are you guys soldering the boards from scratch? What special equipment and tooling is needed?

Like this:http://www.intorobotics.com/arduino-...ces-need-know/

Man there's a learning curve!!
    Last edited by Stevo; 03 June 2015 at 0957.
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4
    Current builds: http://elmoto.net/showthread.php?t=4354

Post Thanks / Like
    This is super cool! Thanks for offering up your code as well, I don't know anything about Arduinos but the potential is certainly intriguing.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am building a spot welder controlled by an micro.

And working on a battery management system with an arduino master.

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Add Athlon on Linkedin
    Another Arduino user here.

on the forum I have pubblished the code for controllin the Zivan Charger ,

right in this moment i'm writing the code for the Eltek Valere canbus charged ( the same of Brammo Empulse )

my next task is to make the Eltek and the Zeva BMS talk each other via canbus (and also working as a logger)

Post Thanks / Like
    Perhaps a subforum for Arduino projects could help keep all of this in one place?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast