Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  8
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk belts.

Post Thanks / Like

Let's talk belts.

This is what I was talking about, drawn out a little better

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434481701.598149.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1434481712.914754.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1434481721.032539.jpg

For reference, which belt are we looking to use? Poly chain GT carbon belts?

http://www.gates.com/~/media/Files/G...02012%20SM.pdf

2. Likes Arjay liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not sure about the better than sex part. But, as you're traveling along, you do hear more of the birds jumping and the fish singing!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hugues, how did you generate the model or drawing of the rear pulley to have it machined? I know that's my CaD systems have functions for generating profiles for standard sprockets and gears, but I doubt that they are there for Gates' proprietary tooth profiles. I know HTD is close, but not exactly it. I might consider going this route since I have a business contact that might be able to machine one for me relatively cheaply. I think that would be my preferred route.

Behind the Redwood Curtain- REDWOOD ORIGINAL!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like the advantages of belts. There is just a lack of supply chain!
    Original build: http://vorworxemc.wix.com/vorworx
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4

Status-free and luvin' it
    Post Thanks / Like
    I went with Gates and industrial pulleys with taper bores. 30mm wide GT3 belts. Since I have a gear reduction I could go with a smaller somewhat lighter pulley in the rear.

My motor is mounted to the swing arm itself, but I'm still using tensioners because there is no adjustment anywhere else in the system. Take a look at this mess of over-fabricating and no planning. Ironically I CAD and 3D model all day long at work but since I'm building by hand and using carbon fiber, nothing will end up exactly where I plan it anyway so I don't bother with it at home LOL.

I did buy one additional belt in case I needed a different length after mocking this up, but it all worked out so I utilized that belt on a nifty steering system drop. I think I put the pics in the black widow build thread

By the way, I bought all the belts and pulleys through Royal Supply

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434501101.020446.jpg
    Mike Pipes
    - Currently under analysis paralysis.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nope, mine is www.BlackBoxBikes.com it's been a long slow road, but I should have motor mounting bracket kits in about two months.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nedfunnell View Post
    Hugues, how did you generate the model or drawing of the rear pulley to have it machined? ...
    I did not have to, the machine shop in France works with Gates all the time, he has the profile, I gave him number of tooth, pitch and width.
    Regards from Switzerland
    My 2.5 Upgrade Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeReal View Post
    This is what I was talking about, drawn out a little better

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434481701.598149.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1434481712.914754.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1434481721.032539.jpg

For reference, which belt are we looking to use? Poly chain GT carbon belts?

http://www.gates.com/~/media/Files/G...02012%20SM.pdf
    Joe,
    I am looking at the GT Carbon series, yes. I think this could work for a custom setup. One would have to carefully balance the finished product, and I think it'd still have to a be shop-built rather than homemade for the needed precision. Have you looked into example costs for a system for your bike?

What I'm looking into now is making Zero parts work for my bike. I have a 3.866:1 ratio now that gets me to 68mph. I'd really love to make that 70+, so I'm looking at 3.5:1 whether I go with a belt or not. I originally thought that even the higher-speed kit from Zero wasn't low-enough reduction, since it's 98/25 or 3.91:1. However, if I used the rear sprocket from that kit and the standard front sprocket, that gets me 98/28, or exactly 3.5:1- sweet! The belt is the last part of the equation, and may be more troublesome. The standard belt lengths are 200t and 220t, which, using their tension calculator, would give 21.29" or 24.48" as center distances- just a bit too short for my bike's roughly 25" minimum center distance, not considering a tensioner at all.

I could use a commerically available Gates belt of slightly longer specification- their calculator has a 224t option, which would give me 25.11"- maybe close enough. The problem is that Zero uses a custom belt width- 14mm, I think, and stock Gates belts are only available in 12mm, 21mm, and wider widths from there. Dropping from 14mm to 12mm wouldn't be bad- I'm not putting down Zero levels of power, so the reduced power transmission capability would be inconsequential for my application. The P/N for that 12mm, 224t option is 8MGT-1792-12. Zero must have Gates cook up their lengths as custom too, and Gates doesn't choose to list in their standard catalog. I'd think they'd change the logo to normal Gates branding and make the options available in their standard catalog.

Here's a snippet of a video showing a timing belt being cut. I wonder if Gates, or one of their distributors who does the slitting, would be willing to make a custom width for someone who wanted to have the stock Zero belt width?

I've asked Harlan at HE if he could source the stock front sprocket and higher-speed rear sprocket only for me, and pricing. We'll see what that turns up. If I can arrange for a tensioner, maybe this could work.
    Last edited by nedfunnell; 17 June 2015 at 1852.

Post Thanks / Like
    I measured the width between the flanges on a stock Gates sprocket for a 12mm belt, and it was over 14mm. So, it might fit the Zero belts. Sorry about the rusty sprocket, but you get the idea. I checked 4 other 12 mm Gates sprockets, 25 to 63 teeth, and the distance is 14-18mm. Zero probably has their custom slit belts made to the maximum width that fits the stock sprockets for a little extra strength.

Sprockets and Taper Lock 003.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Electro Flyers View Post
    I measured the width between the flanges on a stock Gates sprocket for a 12mm belt, and it was over 14mm. So, it might fit the Zero belts. Sorry about the rusty sprocket, but you get the idea. I checked 4 other 12 mm Gates sprockets, 25 to 63 teeth, and the distance is 14-18mm. Zero probably has their custom slit belts made to the maximum width that fits the stock sprockets for a little extra strength.

Sprockets and Taper Lock 003.jpg
    Cool! If I end up using a Gates 12mm belt on Zero pulleys, the belt might be drowning in width. That's good assurance for someone who might do the reverse, though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast