Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Trouble shooting annoying contactor shut down

Post Thanks / Like

Trouble shooting annoying contactor shut down

Hi guys,

lately i've been having my contactor shutting down when going over a bump.

I have a Curtis controller, 1238 7601, schematic here:
    http://www.gliffy.com/go/publish/image/4429764/L.png

The weird thing is that i don't have any error message on my controller, although this one is still powered.

I thought it was my main switch, i changed it, no differences.

I can reproduce the problem in my garage and i connected to my controller using the Curtis software when the contactor was shutdown. I could also connect to my controller when the contactor was working, so i compared all controller inputs between the 2 states and they are exactly the same.

My main switch has 2 poles:
    - 1 pole puts my battery voltage on the switch 7 of the controller , this is the signal to tell the controller to go forward
    - the other pole is to put the battery voltage on the ksi switch of the controller, giving it power supply. This line goes through a relay (for kill switch purpose)

I checked and both lines are live when i press down my main switch, obviously because the controller turns on, and also the input on sw7 is also turned on, and that's what the controller says also.

But there is no voltage on my contactor input, normally i read around 20 volts.

If i move the wire harness of my main switch, i can reproduce the problem after a few seconds of trying, wether to switch it off, or switch it on.

But i checked the harness and i could not find anything loose. And i don't understand what the harness could do to switch my contactor off anyway. It seems to be the controller to switch my contactor off, but why i don't get any error message ??

Maybe it's not the controller ? But then if the contactor opens, the controller would throw an error message, no ?

ANy idea to troubleshoot this one ?
    Last edited by Hugues; 12 July 2015 at 0410.
    Regards from Switzerland
    My 2.5 Upgrade Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you check/bypass(temporarily) the inertia switch?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Electro Flyers View Post
    Did you check/bypass(temporarily) the inertia switch?
    Nope, that would kill the controller and the contactor (same relay).

But i think i found the problem, by sheer luck, touching a couple of wires with my screwdriver.

When i touched the wires getting in and out of the a little circuit i made for interfacing interlock signal, the contactor would come on and off right away. I think i had a loose connection on this interface, i secured all the plugs and now the problem is gone.

Oh well, too many wires and plugs make up so many points of failure with time.

That explains probably why i did not get any error message from the controller, it saw the interlock coming off (or on, i forgot) so it was just a normal event.
    Regards from Switzerland
    My 2.5 Upgrade Thread