Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  4
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ideal Elmoto donors

Post Thanks / Like
    DRZ400, I agree in principle however considering a leaf cell or similar which are great for conversions they are not suited to being in a flexible mounting system.

As I said, I'd over engineer or start with an over engineered donor to simplify the requirements for the additional re-engineering to fit the ev components. Either method can achieve a robust build but personally if I were engineering a structural battery box it would need proper Engineering analysis and FEA to be sure it can handle the stresses of twisting and vibrating in normal use to last well and not compromise or damage the batteries.

But this is my Engineering opinion not the laws of physics and you can achieve alot with out the extra safety margin I'm considering.

Tyler

Post Thanks / Like
    Bracing the frame can be a structural battery box....but doesn't have to be. A couple triangulated tubing supports is all that's required. Look at a ninja 250 vs 500. Simple cradle. You can look at a ex250 frame and instantly see it wants to bend.

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow ElMotoMike On Twitter Add ElMotoMike on Facebook
    Visit ElMotoMike's Youtube Channel
    I actually went through a few free donor rolling chassis' before I found one that seemed to fit just fine... but it also cost me a few hundred. I found that using frames with engines smaller than 400 proved to be difficult to fit everything (mostly batteries) in. Once I got my Suzuki 500, it was smooth sailing, and doing upgrades became easy.
    - Mike

4. Likes Lex liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

Tylerwatts, I tried to look up the motor and only found the 207.

Tony

Behind the Redwood Curtain- REDWOOD ORIGINAL!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    I completely agree with the OP about using a box as a structural member. That's what I've done. My experience with this endeavour is designing in the battery components as the most
    challenging aspect.
    The weight of the batteries is significant on a motorcycle, if you want any usable range. But total weight of the pack should not be overlooked. I will be trying to find the optimal battery pack weight vs pack voltage with my overvolted 72v system charged to ~90v. By removing one leaf module at a time and checking performance changes on each step down. What about 8 1/2 lbs per module?
    The cool thing about the ME1003/spm combo is the wide range of available usable input voltage.
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4
    Current builds: http://elmoto.net/showthread.php?t=4354

Post Thanks / Like
    Having built a structural frame belly for the ex250, I would probably not choose this chassis again. It does offer a good opportunity if you good with welding and fabricating, to build a large custom battery area. But for a simple conversion, it adds engineering and work.

If I start another project, it may be using a large wheel scooter like the Kymco.

But I'd be more likely to just find a cheap used Zero!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ElMotoMaster View Post
    ... Once I got my Suzuki 500, it was smooth sailing, and doing upgrades became easy.
    I'm thinking about using a GS500 the bike hasn't really changed since '88 shouldn't be a problem finding parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Suspensions and frames are designed with a certain load in mind. That applies both to the weight load of the new powertrain and the torque load of your shiny new electric motors. While I am a huge fan of smaller bikes (I fell in love with a VFR400 in South America, but alas, could not take it home) I hesitate to greatly exceed the design parameters of 250 class bikes. After you remove all the ICE bigger frames don't weigh much more than smaller ones, are designed to handle the loads, and have more space for components.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, sorry, texting typo. 207 model it is.

Spaceweasel
    I agree with you about the bigger bikes. But there is a balance. Modern aluminium framed sports bikes (twin spar frame design) are open underneath so great for stacking the battery. Take a look at Ripperton's R1 race bike on Diyelectriccar.com. And the older generation bikes have more space in the frame for the motor.

Again it stems back to your design requirements. So the ex250 is probably a great budget commuter donor but not suitable for larger batteries or high performance.

Tyler
    Last edited by tylerwatts; 03 August 2015 at 1449.

11. Likes Spaceweasel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    One of the extreme examples of a stressed battery box is the new BMW bike: http://s3.bimmerfile.com.s3.amazonaw...53-700x466.jpg and http://www.designboom.com/wp-content...signboom16.jpg . Every other component of the bike is a separate piece, bolted onto the box.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast