Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  2
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nic's Kawasaki Ninja 250 EV conversion

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicman View Post
    I also can't find out what size key I need for my 50 tooth, 7/8 sprocket (50 pitch) to fit on to the shaft of my ME1003. Who sells just the key for the keyway? Is it even called a "key". Assuming it is, this is my first motorcycle and the first time I've dealt with sprockets.

Lots of questions for you experts out there!
    Any help would (once again) be greatly appreciated!
    I hope the "50 tooth" is a typo, because you'll need an ~200 tooth sprocket on the wheel to be in the typical drive ratio range for this motor.

Post Thanks / Like
    I found a 3/16" square key at Lowes for less than $2. It was in the specialty hardware drawers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Electro Flyers View Post
    I hope the "50 tooth" is a typo, because you'll need an ~200 tooth sprocket on the wheel to be in the typical drive ratio range for this motor.
    What ratio do you think I would need with a two hundred tooth rear? I'm running a 65 tooth rear with a 13 tooth front for a ratio of 5:1. All of the research I have done suggests that a 5:1 ratio is just fine for my setup.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunchbag View Post
    I found a 3/16" square key at Lowes for less than $2. It was in the specialty hardware drawers.
    Thanks! I'll pick it up sometime this week. I really liked the link on your page for the GSX wiring tips. That crimper is a little expensive, but I think it will be worth it. Can't wait to be up and running. I finish this semester of college this week so I'll have a lot of time after work each day to finish up the bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    What ratio do you think I would need with a two hundred tooth rear? I'm running a 65 tooth rear with a 13 tooth front for a ratio of 5:1. All of the research I have done suggests that a 5:1 ratio is just fine for my setup.
    13 tooth is better. In post 19, you wrote "50 tooth". Am I missing something here?

Post Thanks / Like
    I really liked the link on your page for the GSX wiring tips.
    Yeah, Noah's website has helped a lot of people. I love the level of detail he put into the wiring how-to section.

That crimper is a little expensive, but I think it will be worth it.
    I bought a cheap version of what Noah used. Maybe the handle is shorter also. But I was able to make very good crimps with it. I think the vendor I used changed their name, but they're still listing the heavy duty hex crimper on eBay.

Post Thanks / Like
    I may have to pick up one of those hex crimpers. I have access to a Burndy cordless crimper through work, but it's "when it's available."

That GSX link has some good wiring practices. I personally like using open barrel crimps with their integrated strain relief, and I almost always reach for adhesive lined heatshrink, but there is good stuff there.

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Add furyphoto on Facebook
    I picked up a Hydraulic crimper from Ebay for about $30. It's super easy to use, and makes pretty hex crimps.

No muscle required, I'm lazy.
    -Andrew

http://www.andrewdoran.com
    mail(at)andrewdoran.com

My ElMoto Project "Electric Hurricane" - 1987 Honda CBR600 F1: Check out my Build ALBUM
    My ICE Cafe Racer Project "My Precious" - 1983 Honda CM400 Classic

Post Thanks / Like
    It's been a while but I've had a chance to get some more planning done, if not the work itself. I've been snooping around Jonny Panic's design for the battery frame and how to mount it to the bike frame. I think it's a great concept but I already rounded off my motor mount.. I think I'll keep the leaf cells stacked in one row, but use angle aluminum and the slightly larger threaded rods to hold them in place.
    Mounting the battery box to the lower bike frame is my next challenge.

Post Thanks / Like
    FullSizeRender.jpgIMG_2783.jpgIMG_2787.jpgIMG_2788.jpgIMG_2790.jpg

We finished moving to our new home and yesterday was the first day I've had time to work on the bike. I managed to get the battery mounts drilled and mounted the battery pack.
    I'm a little concerned with the lack of a secondary support (such as using the bottom motor mounts for the battery pack).

Right now the only thing holding the pack in place is 1/4 steel plate mounted to the 1/4 threaded rods with accompanying 1/4 nuts. It seems to be holding though, without any twisting or movement.
    I may need to re-think another point of fixture to the frame before I continue.
    Added some photos. Hope they help explain how I did what I did visually.
    Last edited by Nicman; 29 February 2016 at 1132. Reason: Forgot to mention the battery pack mount.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast