Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  2
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Nic's Kawasaki Ninja 250 EV conversion

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicman View Post
    That looks like it would help a lot. The only problem is that my batteries are right there and I can't physically connect those two points. See my pictures above...

Any other suggestions?

I added a photo with where the brace would "go through" my battery, and circled it in green.Attachment 6887

I ended up bolting my battery cage and my motor mount together to get a nice rigid link. Probably your best bet. Plus it keeps your batteries from wanting to swing forward.
    See here:
    http://evalbum.com/preview.php?vid=5243
    Last edited by cmcnall; 05 June 2017 at 1309.

Post Thanks / Like

Nic's Kawasaki Ninja 250 EV conversion

Quote Originally Posted by cmcnall View Post
    I ended up bolting my battery cage and my motor mount together to get a nice rigid link. Probably your best bet. Plus it keeps your batteries from wanting to swing forward.
    See here:
    http://evalbum.com/preview.php?vid=5243
    I went back to the battery and motor mount and redid the design to include the battery mount bolting directly to the motor mount and the upper frame. I added a second motor mount on the right side of the motor in order to add rigidity and another location to bolt down the battery frame. I guess the most recent picture doesn't show that. The batteries are no longer putting strain on the upper frame. It's all one rigid frame now, like when the ICE was installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Finished wiring the contactor and controller to the kill switch today, and took it for my first ride. This thing is scary quick! I'll be wiring the 12v system in the coming days/weeks while practicing before getting my motorcycle endorsement. Thanks everyone for all the help along the way.

Pics to come when the finishing touches are all in place.

Post Thanks / Like
    Question about charging using the Delta-Q quic charger. I bought the 72v charger and was told there is an algorithm that actually puts out 90v so as to charge the 11 Nissan Leaf modules. I do not have a LVC or HVC or a BMS so I'm hesitant to charge the batteries without monitoring the voltage of each module. Is there a way to verify that the charger I have is actually putting out the correct voltage/current required by Lithium Ion batteries? I think they need full voltage then full current or some version of them in order.

On another note, I'll be wiring the 12v system tonight and I'll try and remember what problems I come across. I plan on harvesting the original relays and connectors from the OEM ninja. Maybe even the harness itself without all of the ICE electric portions(neutral,starter relay, Tach...)
    Just tracking each wire is a pain but It might be.l better than making a brand new harness. Any advice?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Nicman I'm doing just about the same build as you and johnnypanic, I have the DeltaQ Charger as well and I have mine set to algorithm for 89.91V. I left it to charge overnight (~8 hours) and came back from a flat (60V) to a 95% battery (85.5V) and am currently testing it with no bms whats so ever, these cells are so well balanced it's ridiculous.

I have a question for you about the 12v system, if we were to just take our whole 12v system and plug it into the Delta! charger how would we do it, that's the only part I'm stuck on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicman View Post
    Just tracking each wire is a pain but It might be.l better than making a brand new harness.
    I redid my whole 250 harness and it is a huge pain!. if you can, just use the old one. that being said. most wiring diagrams for the bike are online. PM me if you want the one for the 2006 250.

Post Thanks / Like

Nic's Kawasaki Ninja 250 EV conversion

I'm up and running! It's been a crazy process but I'm happy with the results. The wiring harness was definitely a pain in the ass but everything is working and it's pretty quick and fun to ride. Time to get my endorsement and figure out the registration/legalization part. Thanks to everyone for the advice and inspiration along the way.
    Last edited by Nicman; 03 July 2017 at 1132. Reason: Figured it out

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by neromancer View Post
    Hey Nicman I'm doing just about the same build as you and johnnypanic, I have the DeltaQ Charger as well and I have mine set to algorithm for 89.91V. I left it to charge overnight (~8 hours) and came back from a flat (60V) to a 95% battery (85.5V) and am currently testing it with no bms whats so ever, these cells are so well balanced it's ridiculous.

I have a question for you about the 12v system, if we were to just take our whole 12v system and plug it into the Delta! charger how would we do it, that's the only part I'm stuck on.
    Neromancer,
    I don't have the delta q with the DC-DC built in, I have a separate convertor.
    It was about half the price and I was on a budget.
    Good luck though!

Post Thanks / Like
    Great to here! Remember to check your brushes at 2k miles.....I didn't and was left stranded on the highway! Figured they last longer then that!
    2003 Ninja 250EX, Agni #95R, 6:1 Gearing, 11 Leaf Modules.
    Alltrax SPM72400, 400 amp Controller, all LED lighting
    2014 CRF450X Supermoto
    http://www.evalbum.com/1955
    http://www.evalbum.com/3337

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345