Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  5
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Nic's Kawasaki Ninja 250 EV conversion

Post Thanks / Like
    So I got my motorcycle endorsment, and added a few minor upgrades to the Ninja. LED's all around (which require a load resistor or they won't flash). The fairings didn't quite reach due to the LEAF batteries being a bit wider than the original motor and transmission, so I fab'd a bracket to connect the bottom together. Also, since the fairing was wider, I had to cut the bottom-front portion because during any turn I would scrape. :0
    Overall I get a max speed of 63MPH and about 24 miles of range on the highway. I will be switching out my 13 tooth front sprocket for a 17 tooth and I believe that should get me to 83-88 MPH.
    The acceleration is pretty intense with the 13 tooth. I don't expect much less acceleration but much better efficiency at highway speeds, since I won't be at WOT just to make it to 60. Hopefully I can get my 40 mile range with the new gearing. (17 tooth front, 55 tooth rear).

Thanks to everyone! I'll check in from time to time and am happy to answer any questions if I can.

Post Thanks / Like
    There are flasher relays made for LED's so you don't have to use a resistor, used one of those on my conversion..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny J View Post
    There are flasher relays made for LED's so you don't have to use a resistor, used one of those on my conversion..
    I used a LED rated flasher (see below) and it still didn't work. Had to get the resistor.

https://www.autozone.com/electrical-...85_641971_7281

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought something like this one, works fine: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2-Pi...ceBeautifyAB=3

Post Thanks / Like
    *UPDATE*
    Been riding to and from work (about 7 miles one way) and am able to charge the bike at work. I am taking a new route that avoids the highway to see if I can get 2 back and forth trips between charges. Right now I am using about 110-120 Wh to get 7 miles. It's been pretty cold in the mornings and the bike maxes out at 61MPH with my 13tooth front and 65 tooth rear (almost wish I would have got a 60 T rear) but I am switching out the front sprocket this weekend to the 17t which should change my gear ratio from 5:1 to 3.28:1.

current acceleration is...
    0-30 : just over 2 seconds
    0-45 : ~4 seconds
    0-60 : ~ 11 seconds

I know the new gearing will reduce the acceleration but I really need the top speed for my commute efficiency. I am also planning on building up the fairing a bit to divert the air to the sides of the bike instead of through the front where the radiator used to be (currently where the batter pack is).

I have calculated ~77 MPH top speed and better efficiency at a crusing speed of 65MPH with the new ratio. I had to get a new chain too since the 120links was so tight on the 17t front that when I gave the bike throttle on the stand, it slipped off the rotor.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have mine geared for 70mph but rarely go over 60mph. I just like the reserve. Rare opportunity to ride last weekend being January...was 58 degrees. Mine is 5.14/1 but my motor is 70rpm/v.
    2003 Ninja 250EX, Agni #95R, 6:1 Gearing, 11 Leaf Modules.
    Alltrax SPM72400, 400 amp Controller, all LED lighting
    2014 CRF450X Supermoto
    http://www.evalbum.com/1955
    http://www.evalbum.com/3337

7. Likes Nicman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicman View Post
    *UPDATE*
    Been riding to and from work (about 7 miles one way) and am able to charge the bike at work. I am taking a new route that avoids the highway to see if I can get 2 back and forth trips between charges. Right now I am using about 110-120 Wh to get 7 miles. It's been pretty cold in the mornings and the bike maxes out at 61MPH with my 13tooth front and 65 tooth rear (almost wish I would have got a 60 T rear) but I am switching out the front sprocket this weekend to the 17t which should change my gear ratio from 5:1 to 3.28:1.

current acceleration is...
    0-30 : just over 2 seconds
    0-45 : ~4 seconds
    0-60 : ~ 11 seconds

I know the new gearing will reduce the acceleration but I really need the top speed for my commute efficiency. I am also planning on building up the fairing a bit to divert the air to the sides of the bike instead of through the front where the radiator used to be (currently where the batter pack is).

I have calculated ~77 MPH top speed and better efficiency at a crusing speed of 65MPH with the new ratio. I had to get a new chain too since the 120links was so tight on the 17t front that when I gave the bike throttle on the stand, it slipped off the rotor.
    Explain " slipped off the rotor".

Behind the Redwood Curtain- REDWOOD ORIGINAL!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had the same setup as you. I didn't go as big as a 17t drive sprocket...but I did try everything from 13 up to 16 and the 16 worked best with a 62t wheel sprocket. 65mph top speed. I could only squeeze 15 miles per charge, partly due to knobbies instead of super motard tires. When I wear these tires out, I'll switch to SM and see if anything improves.
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4
    Current builds: http://elmoto.net/showthread.php?t=4354

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Electro Flyers View Post
    Explain " slipped off the rotor".
    The front sprocket slides on to the rotor on the electric motor. It is held there by the 1/16" key with two set screws to hold it in position. The sprocket moved left off center of the rotor. It was no longer staying in place on the rotor, hence "sliding off" while under throttle. I don't really know how else to explain it. I believe it was because the chain was so tight, a 530x120, that I am replacing with a 530x130 that I will break down to 122.

the 13 tooth front works just fine and is the same 7/8" diameter. I am getting the chain this week so I put the old 13tooth back on for now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    I had the same setup as you. I didn't go as big as a 17t drive sprocket...but I did try everything from 13 up to 16 and the 16 worked best with a 62t wheel sprocket. 65mph top speed. I could only squeeze 15 miles per charge, partly due to knobbies instead of super motard tires. When I wear these tires out, I'll switch to SM and see if anything improves.
    In Florida, if you're not going 10-15 over, you're getting passed and or honked at. That coupled with being at WOP and only 61MPH was almost dangerous for me on the highway. I made it to work only using 98Wh today, mainly on side roads except for a 1/2 mile stretch to cross a bridge that requires HW speeds. I will probably keep the 13 tooth on for a while but if I know I am going to be on the highway for any longer period of time, I will have the 17T sprocket.
    Last edited by Nicman; 05 February 2018 at 0718. Reason: added a word.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast