Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: My Vicor Stopped Working

Post Thanks / Like

My Vicor Stopped Working

Hey guys,

I left my bike for a week with the Vicor connected and now it doesn't seem to work. I wired up the gate-in circuit with a 1uf capacitor to use as an on and off switch. I'm getting input voltage, but no output.

Checked the fuses, they're fine. It worked fine for a few weeks, is it broken or does it need some sort of reset? Anybody who has experience with these vicors? Any tests I can try before scouring the bay for a new one?

Post Thanks / Like
    Can you clarify what you mean by "1uf capacitor to use as an on and off switch"? The cap should be permanently installed between gate in and (-) in. Then you wire a switch in parallel with the cap. If you're connecting and disconnecting the cap that could be the problem.

Try disconnecting / reconnecting the input power to reset the unit.
    - Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by podolefsky View Post
    Can you clarify what you mean by "1uf capacitor to use as an on and off switch"? The cap should be permanently installed between gate in and (-) in. Then you wire a switch in parallel with the cap. If you're connecting and disconnecting the cap that could be the problem.

Try disconnecting / reconnecting the input power to reset the unit.
    That's a very real possibility. I wired it according to this diagram:

vicor.jpg

Right now the bike is in pieces (prepping for paint and powdercoat), but I'll test it again tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    Ground the gate in to input negative.

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Add furyphoto on Facebook
    Also check your sense wires have not come disconnected. If they have you won't get significant voltage out. The sense wires must be connected before you apply the input voltage, otherwise you won't get voltage out. If you have to reconnect the sense wires, you need to disconnect the input power to reset.

I just picked up a handful of these from a surplus store, let me know if you need another one. I'm in the process of testing them now.
    Last edited by furyphoto; 16 September 2015 at 1854.
    -Andrew

http://www.andrewdoran.com
    mail(at)andrewdoran.com

My ElMoto Project "Electric Hurricane" - 1987 Honda CBR600 F1: Check out my Build ALBUM
    My ICE Cafe Racer Project "My Precious" - 1983 Honda CM400 Classic

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by furyphoto View Post
    Also check your sense wires have not come disconnected. If they have you won't get significant voltage out. The sense wires must be connected before you apply the input voltage, otherwise you won't get voltage out. If you have to reconnect the sense wires, you need to disconnect the input power to reset.

I just picked up a handful of these from a surplus store, let me know if you need another one. I'm in the process of testing them now.
    Thanks man! I'll let you know if I managed to break it somehow, I won't be able to test it until tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dunno if this helps, but I fried my vicor (2 of them actually), when plugging them in once by connecting B+ first, then B-. You must do either both at the same time, or B- first, then B+.
    EVs: 2007 Zapino Scooter, Honda VF500 Conversion (electriceptor.wordpress.com), Red Nissan LEAF SL (Arrived!)