Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  1
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ZEV introduces electric motorcycle

Post Thanks / Like
    Based upon my experience with BMW and Ohlins suspension components, a premium shock and corresponding fork, that can be fine tuned for various applications and riding environments is likely to cost almost as much, if not more, than the entire ZEV motorcycle. Also, I don't think I have to tell anyone that the Taiwan-manufactured FastAce fork and rear shock that Zero used in their early models didn't do that bike any favors in the handling and ride department. When it comes to suspension, you get what you pay for and I agree with Tony that keeping the weight of a hub motor under control on a bumpy road requires a premium shock set up just for that application. Something you are not likely to get from a Chinese-made motorcycle.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2011 Royal Enfield 500, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Post Thanks / Like
    Eh...it's a cheap Chinese frame with their hub motor and some GBS cells in it. Same as their scooters. Not exactly cutting edge. You can get a Zero ZF9.8 for $11k, with a bigger battery, more power, and much better build quality for $1500 less than the ZEV. Who cares about the unsprung weight. Nobody in their right mind would buy this bike based on the price and spec alone.
    - Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12