Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yamaha FZ6-e Project

Post Thanks / Like

Yamaha FZ6-e Project

Hi all,
    im starting a project on my yamaha FZ6 which i recked the engine. the plan is to start with SLA batteries due to money, time scale and from what i can tell it will be a little bit simpler. Im currently studying engineering had have a final year project that has to be completed by May next year so the pressure is on. my plan is to have a ME1003 72v motor with 6x 88ah deep cycle batteries giving me about 6.3kWh(although the weight of those is going to be about 122Kg) which from what i can work out will nurf my range something cronic. im planning to use a kelly controller KDZ72401 400A its a little under spec'ed but again comes in a reasonable price. living in the UK one of my biggest challangers will be waterproofing the bike as much as possible i also do not have a garage to store the bike over night and advise on water proofing will be greatly appricated. this forum has given me the confidence to do this project as there are alot of very clever people on here that have clear up alot of things for me. but im a bit lost on wiring the whole thing up ill be doing so diagrams very soon which im sure ill miss out components so i will need so pointers when i post them.

heres a quick photoshop mock up of what i am planning for the look of the bike plus a few specs:

and a quick thanks the Mike for getting my account sorted for me
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Chri5; 02 December 2015 at 0811.

Post Thanks / Like
    In your mock-ups, where are you planning to house the batteries? It isn't clear, looks like you have trays for a controller/charger/? up front?

Sent from the Future via Google Skynet

Post Thanks / Like
    there below the frame the controller and most of the electronics are going to be in the tank area the tank is massive on the FZ6

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't know if you'll save much money with SLA. Decent cells that size will probably be $175-200 each. Unless you have a good source. And they will be BIG & HEAVY! You may be able to source 11 Leaf modules for just a bit more.
    2003 Ninja 250EX, Agni #95R, 6:1 Gearing, 11 Leaf Modules.
    Alltrax SPM72400, 400 amp Controller, all LED lighting
    2014 CRF450X Supermoto
    http://www.evalbum.com/1955
    http://www.evalbum.com/3337

Post Thanks / Like
    we sell them in my place of work so im getting them at cost 50($75) each there not the highest quality but will do for first power pack and allows me to spend more on the rest of the system Leaf cell would be my perfect solution but coming in at $130 each the pack would cost me $1430 plus the only place i can find them is in the US so shipping plus duties and taxes puts the cost up to about 1400-1500 which is way to much on the short time frame i have. that will be my ultimate goal as i can have the same kWh rating in 1/3 the weight roughly plus the added BMS cost and complexity that im still trying to get my head round. also i dont want an ideal machine straight away not having LiPo cell give me improvements to discuss on my paper for my studies. the weight is going to be a killer as the batteries alone weight more than the ICE and all associated parts combined. with my planned weight reduction i should be able to break even on the original weight (i hope) that why im chopping the subframe in half or more leaving only a single seat and making a carbonfibre copy of the steel tank.

Post Thanks / Like
    When I first built my Nina in 2008 I used (6) 35AH AGM's. Got about 18-20 mile range depending on driving. I used them for 3 years. You don't have to use a BMS with the Leaf cells if you ensure they are balanced and don't charge above 4.1v per cell or discharge much below 3v per cell. You loose a few AH's but in the long run your batteries will last longer (Nissan does this too). I've been running without a BMS all season, over 120 cycles and the cells are within .05v of each other. Did you check any bone yards?
    2003 Ninja 250EX, Agni #95R, 6:1 Gearing, 11 Leaf Modules.
    Alltrax SPM72400, 400 amp Controller, all LED lighting
    2014 CRF450X Supermoto
    http://www.evalbum.com/1955
    http://www.evalbum.com/3337

Post Thanks / Like
    i must admit i havent check scrap yards as for now the cheap option is having to win as 300 for the batteries is cheap as chips and allows me more money for the motor, controller and fabication at this time i have to have the bike up and running in 22 weeks as i say the next upgrade after completion will be leaf cells or something along the same lines im also trying to keep the project cost under 1500-1800 (which might be a bit optimistic but heres to hoping)

Post Thanks / Like
    Get in touch with Dan at Indra.co.uk. He is Skooler on diyelectriccar.com and breaks leafs and others and usually has leaf cells in stock plus a very helpful guy.

Tyler

Post Thanks / Like
    a little progress update on my project. after doing the some of my math for the power required to move a SLA battery setup which mean that i would have a 2000 50cc equivalent scooter which would do my street cred no good (what little i have) as the bike was going to weight in at over 330kg(700lbs) so ive bit the bullet and gone for the leaf cells much to the dismay of my bank balance. so all my major parts are order and on the way to me except the charger and BMS which im really lost with i think im going to buy a minibms system but i need help on the charger one that doesnt cost 400 upwards. the parts ive ordered are:

ME1003 motor
    SW200 contactor
    11 leaf cells
    kelly KDZ551 controller

here are a few pictures on the bike striped down
    20160123_133335.jpg20160307_203237.jpg20160116_125751.jpg
    the image of the tank is the start of the mould for the carbon fibre tank that im fabricating which should be done in a week once the parts arrive i will be fabricating the rest within a week or two so should have some images of the bike with the systems running

any help on the charger will be a huge help as im at a loss of what i really need.

Post Thanks / Like
    In hopes that you ordered the Gen 2 Leaf modules, here's a link on how to get the aluminum covers off and pics of the cells you find inside. http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums...-2-163170.html

And here's a pic of someone who took his Leaf modules apart and made a box to put them in, suspended and compressed inside the box so they are protected from vibration, shock and the elements once the cover is on and the box is sealed.
    upload_-1.jpg

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast