Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  10
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hoverboard Battery issues with 18650 cells

Post Thanks / Like
    hmmm... starting to look like it's knockoffs that are causing the problem so, and the properly made ones are paying the price.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
    hmmm... starting to look like it's knockoffs that are causing the problem so, and the properly made ones are paying the price.
    This is usually the case. An OE product is well engineered and safe, but the (cheap) aftermarket, copy, or no-name version is shortcut city and causes problems.

Sent from the Future via Google Skynet

Status-free and luvin' it
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lithium "no-fly"... yeah, let's do that. It will only bring the entire air transportation system to a grinding halt since they all use lithium to power the planes.. LOL.

I once asked a "chem-trail" believer if they think that biological agents can survive storage within jet fuel, or withstand the 2600 degree combustion temperatures inside a jet engine in order to be distributed via exhaust. Blank stare.
    Mike Pipes
    - Currently under analysis paralysis.

4. Likes Richard230 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mpipes View Post
    Lithium "no-fly"... yeah, let's do that. It will only bring the entire air transportation system to a grinding halt since they all use lithium to power the planes.. LOL.
    Not all of them, not yet, but can you imagine the uproar if passengers were suddenly told they'd have to mail their cell phones, laptops, tablets, music devices and other electronics to their destination because the lithium batteries are a "no fly" item?

6. Likes Richard230 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hoverboards are a ~200wh battery. When I bought (50) A123 cells from China they arrived with 1000mah stickers on each 20ah cell! Obviously their way of getting around the watt hour ban for air transport.
    2003 Ninja 250EX, Agni #95R, 6:1 Gearing, 11 Leaf Modules.
    Alltrax SPM72400, 400 amp Controller, all LED lighting
    2014 CRF450X Supermoto
    http://www.evalbum.com/1955
    http://www.evalbum.com/3337

Post Thanks / Like
    If you can cut a corner, the Chinese manufacturing industry will find it.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2011 Royal Enfield 500, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Post Thanks / Like
    Its not just batteries either...there's been examples with large blown caps, presumably on the motor controller. If the peak Voltage is 42 volts...than a 40v cap is close enough!
    2014 CRF450X Supermoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DRZ400 View Post
    Its not just batteries either...there's been examples with large blown caps, presumably on the motor controller. If the peak Voltage is 42 volts...than a 40v cap is close enough!
    In high school, my physics teacher gave us all a good example of what happens when you (drastically) over-volt capacitors: he put put 105V across 20V caps. It was a blast!

Post Thanks / Like
    That's how I blew up my first Kelly Controller...Had the bike on the center stand, hot off the charger at 90V. I cracked the twist grip a couple times and then hit the brake. Regen kicked it and the voltage spiked to over 100v...which is what the caps were rated for, revealed after the post mortem!
    2014 CRF450X Supermoto

Post Thanks / Like
    RE: "Maybe it's the cheap Chinese crap that should be banned. "

Nope. Read Richard's post: "My first GPR-S caught on fire when the BMS failed". I'm guessing that the GPRS had a Made In USA BMS. Even more importantly, the first GPR's may have had LIFEPO4 batteries, not LiPO. Just google: "Lifepo4 cells catch fire! - Battery Vehicle Society", and an entire car burned down, and the suspect component is a Zivan battery charger. Imo, the Zivan battery charger is a "sabotage product", and, from first-hand experience, goes amok intermittently. Lots of battery packs and enthusiam for EV's destroyed by the Zivan battery charger, imo.

You'll find lots of burnt-up ebikes and escooters with Lithium battery chemistry on ebike forums.

Most nobbyists are enamored with Lithium, despite the sole long-term success of the Tesla car, due mainly to limiting the battery pack's usage to between ~30 percent to ~85 percent of capacity. In YouTube, LiPO batteries are known for entertaining quadcopter fires and explosions.

Solution? Look up the thread at Endless-Sphere forum on "high discharge" sealed lead acid batteries, like the Hawker Genesis, etc, used for drag races, rather successfully. Also, FYI, the Johnson "Dynasty" batteries had nearly 100% of their original capacity even after 1000 discharge cycles in a comparative test of mobility batteries. I can't find the PDF of that test series online anymore.

Also, the "high discharge rate" batteries can be charged in 20 minutes, not hours. The big drawback is that the Hawker Genesis must be charged at between 1C to 4C rate --- not easy to find a huge charger like that, for cars. For elmoto's, type-switchable "marine" battery chargers can be bought at ebay for ~$250.

So, the Lithium battery-balancing headache, and fires, need not happen -- look at the successful White Charger and drag racing threads.

The resellers are also not really telling everthing about LiFE batteries, either. I have owned 3 LiFE 'cycles and the power is very greatly diminished when ambient temperature is colder than 6 Celcius. Even worse, apparently the LIFEPO4 batteries are "hurt" permanently if they are charged when temperature is colder than 5 degrees Celcius. So, what good is an electric bike, or electric scooter, in the winter?
    Last edited by NonPolluter; 28 December 2015 at 2324.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast