Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  6

Thread: Motorcycle sound fx - EC Tunes

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow ElMotoMike On Twitter Add ElMotoMike on Facebook
    Visit ElMotoMike's Youtube Channel

Motorcycle sound fx - EC Tunes

Yeaaaa... my soon to be electric Harley with TIE fighter sound fx. I found this earlier today at ECTunes.com.

So how would this be done? I doubt highly that I could simply run a line off my Magura throttle to control the volume from an mp3 player.

- Mike

2. Likes Kenneth liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    oh well, i'm not that all convinced about the sound...

i don't think the sound can be simply proportional to the speed of the bike, although i'm not sure this is the way they implemented it.

And in relation to the position of the throttle ? not sure either. on a gas bike, the same throttle position can give different sounds depending if you are accelerating, decelerating or cruising,

Maybe on an electric bike we should not try to reproduce the behaviour and sound of a gas engine bike. Maybe we should try to read the motor amps/voltage/rpm and amplify it in a certain way.

But i have yet to find the time to work on this. In the mean time, i so enjoy riding in complete silence with my belt, it's just great. Just acceleration and the noise of the wind on my helmet, nothing else.
    Regards from Switzerland
    My 2.5 Upgrade Thread

4. Likes Kenneth liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ElMotoMaster View Post
    Yeaaaa... my soon to be electric Harley with TIE fighter sound fx. I found this earlier today at ECTunes.com.

So how would this be done? I doubt highly that I could simply run a line off my Magura throttle to control the volume from an mp3 player.
    Pretty easy. The throttle is a 5 kohm pot which can be read using an A/D converter and used as a volume control. Use a Raspberry Pi (better yet a Pi zero when they are back in stock) and you could have a variety of sounds from a motorcycle recording to people making motorcycle sounds. Add powered speaker(s) and crank the throttle.

Here's an ADC chip and tutorial to connect to a pi
    https://www.adafruit.com/products/856

Here's powered speakers to connect to the pi audio output
    https://www.adafruit.com/product/1363

For extra credit get louder, waterproof speakers and build the speakers into nicely chromed trumpet style motorcycle pipes!

6. Likes Kenneth liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Visit SplinterOz's Youtube Channel
    I would actually have it inverse... so when the bike is stopped or slow it has a hum to let you and other people know, once going at speed sound doesn't really add much safety (if at all) and it would wreck one of the things I like about riding elelctric.
    SplinterOz
    From Australia'a Capital
    http://rgelectric.wordpress.com/

8. Likes Kenneth liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting thread, I plan on using a raspberry pi zero and sonic pi (http://sonic-pi.net/) to do the artificial motor noise on my bike. I'll make it so that the throttle controls both volume and pitch.

Interestingly enough they have a 'tron bike' example that seems pretty cool.

I'm going to try splicing from audio from some star wars movies and have a looping audio file. In addition I want to hook up some buttons to do custom horn noises.

10. Likes Kenneth liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 4dollarjoe View Post
    Interesting thread, I plan on using a raspberry pi zero and sonic pi (http://sonic-pi.net/) to do the artificial motor noise on my bike. I'll make it so that the throttle controls both volume and pitch.

Interestingly enough they have a 'tron bike' example that seems pretty cool.

I'm going to try splicing from audio from some star wars movies and have a looping audio file. In addition I want to hook up some buttons to do custom horn noises.
    The Pi zero seems to contain unobtainium, unless you got one on the first day, and has no native audio out. I'd look at the A+ to get reasonable power consumption. (If you want better audio quality with an A+ or any audio at all from a zero try USB audio.)

12. Likes Kenneth liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Visit Kenneth's Youtube Channel
    Hi, I just found this forum and thought that I could present an alternative to ECtunes and Raspberry. I developed the SoundRacer Car FM Transmitter to make boringly silent standard cars a little more fun to drive. Soon I got a lot of requests from owners of electric vehicles so I developed a sound module that comes with six engine sounds (more sounds can be added on the MicroSD card) and an on board 2x20W amplifier. One customer made this video on YouTube: Zero DS SoundRacer. I recommend using vehicle speed as input, that gives the most realistic transmissions between idling, acceleration and deceleration sounds. The EVSMA-1 sound module has 0-5V and pulsed input. SplinterOZ: Parameters can be set to control the sounds, one option is to make the sound fade out at a selected speed so that it is only heard at idling and low speeds. www.EVSoundSystem.com www.SoundRacer.com