Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How much LifePO4 battery and What would be the range for AC-23

Post Thanks / Like

How much LifePO4 battery and What would be the range for AC-23

Hi All,

I am building a cruiser motorcycle as a prototype. I am using the AC-23 Motor by HPEVS and HPEVS Curtis Controller 1238-7601.

I was looking at a lifepo4 4S2P battery with 8400mah and rated at 30C and 40C pulse. now the battery is $78. I was wondering if i need to get enough battery to get 100Ah and 96V to run the motor. That would cost me about 6K+ just for the batteries alone and i dont know what the range would be. I am not an electrical engineer so I an not able to calculate the approx range and current drive from the motor on average cruising mode (considering 3000 - 4000 RPM).

What battery configuration / size would you guys recommend? Any help would be appreciated.

-Milton
    Last edited by milton; 06 February 2016 at 1159.

Post Thanks / Like
    Some numbers from my build to help you:
    AC-20
    1238-7601
    26 Leaf packs, paralleled 2 by 2, I run at about 96 V
    6.2 to 1 ratio for my belt
    Bike plus driver is around 355 kgs
    I get 150 km range not running too aggressively below 80 km/h
    Regards from Switzerland
    My 2.5 Upgrade Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    If I was starting today I would choose Leaf modules over the LiFePO4 cells I have now, saving money, weight and space. Thinking about converting but still have too much life in these to justify it.

Post Thanks / Like
    What about these once?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/201343463821...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The reason i would lean on a lifePo4 cell is cause of the stability, safety, longer shelf life and longer charge cycle. Well the only difference between lifePo4 and Li-ion is the charge cycle. LifeP04 is 2000 cycle while Li-ion is 1000 cycles if i have read correctly.

300 pieces of these lifePo4(6 orders of 50) would give me a 96v 33ah battery with rated charge of 30C / 50C.

That would give ma a 990Ah continues and 1650Ah for 30 sec making it a 96kW pack costing about $1800 plus shipping and would weight about 67 lbs or 30kgs (100gms each pouch)

Considering an average speed of 60 on highway and 45 in city / out of highway the average RPM would be about 3860 on highway and 2880 in city consuming about 400 and 300 amps on an average. That should give ma from 120 -150 miles range!?

That is if my calculation is correct

What are your thoughts?

What lifePo4 cells have you used Skahle?

Quote Originally Posted by Skahle View Post
    If I was starting today I would choose Leaf modules over the LiFePO4 cells I have now, saving money, weight and space. Thinking about converting but still have too much life in these to justify it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Hugues for the details. What is your rig Amp and whats the continues discharge rage on your pack?

I am building a cruiser co that weight would be about 660lbs. I would need more power and torque to startup.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugues View Post
    Some numbers from my build to help you:
    AC-20
    1238-7601
    26 Leaf packs, paralleled 2 by 2, I run at about 96 V
    6.2 to 1 ratio for my belt
    Bike plus driver is around 355 kgs
    I get 150 km range not running too aggressively below 80 km/h
    Last edited by milton; 08 February 2016 at 1028.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by milton View Post
    I am building a cruiser co that weight would be about 660kg. Thats double the weight on your bike. I would need more power and torque to startup.
    Dude that's not a bike, that's a small car!!

HD's Electra Glide barely breaks 400kg and that's more bike more than makes any sense whatsoever.

Post Thanks / Like
    then there are these batteries:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-EFEST-PUR...cAAOSwHnFV2dSX

Would cost me about 2000 for a 122v 1000Ah / 1500Ah pack of 33S 6P and would place the battery weight to 82.5 kgs thats 180lbs way above then the lifePo4.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
    Dude that's not a bike, that's a small car!!

HD's Electra Glide barely breaks 400kg and that's more bike more than makes any sense whatsoever.
    Sorry my mistake. I miss-read lbs as kgs. I am basing the weight on my Victory hammer since it has a 250 rear tire.
    Last edited by milton; 08 February 2016 at 1032.

Post Thanks / Like
    What about these once?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/201343463821...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The reason i would lean on a lifePo4 cell is cause of the stability, safety, longer shelf life and longer charge cycle. Well the only difference between lifePo4 and Li-ion is the charge cycle. LifeP04 is 2000 cycle while Li-ion is 1000 cycles if i have read correctly.

Seems to be rather anonymous lifePo4, are you sure you want to go with this ? My first pack was LifePo4, they were sagging too much already at 200-250 amps. Then i upgraded to a Leaf pack and that's one of the best upgrade on my bike, i can pull 600 amps without any problems, probably more, but my motor can't.

You will need stiff cells. Number of cycles is not a big deal above 1000 cycles, that's one cycle per day for 3 years, you really need more than this ? In 3 years you'll want the newest technology.
    Regards from Switzerland
    My 2.5 Upgrade Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Hugues for the details. What is your rig Amp and whats the continues discharge rage on your pack?

I am building a cruiser co that weight would be about 660lbs. I would need more power and torque to startup.
    The AC-23 VS AC-20 was discussed here, good to read before you make your final choice:
    http://elmoto.net/showthread.php?t=4047

As for your questions, i'm not sure i understand. Leaf specs can be found here:
    http://hybridautocenter.com/HAC4/ind...=72&Itemid=631
    i have 26 pack, paralled 2 by 2
    Regards from Switzerland
    My 2.5 Upgrade Thread

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast