Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: RFID Switch

Post Thanks / Like

RFID Switch

I was looking for a way to start my bike (lights and BMS) with an RFID tag.

I found this neat little kit from Motogadget:
    http://motogadget.com/en/electrics/r...ndschloss.html
    It comes with the RFID reader, 1 key chain tag and one master tag for programming, one 12V relay that can switch up to 40 amps.

They also sell a micro tag that you can insert and hide in your glove, 2nd picture on this page:
    http://motogadget.com/en/electrics/r...cessories.html

So i will hide the RFID reader under the bodywork of my bike. I will then just need to bring my glove close (1-2 cm) to the reader and this will power the headlight and the BMS. This will also power the wireless charger of my phone which i use as a dashboard. Using Tasker i will program the phone to turn on, unlock and start Torque automatically when the phone will sense the charger. The main switch for high voltage will remain with a push button for safety. Cool.

Bringing the glove close to the reader again will switch off the lights, BMS, Torque and lock the phone.

I will still be able to operate the BMS and lights separately with the phone and the existing bluetooth relay, this is needed when charging the bike, and in case the RFID system does not respond or if i loose my glove.

mlock_liu_wgb_09_800.jpg
    Last edited by Hugues; 20 February 2016 at 1018.
    Regards from Switzerland
    My 2.5 Upgrade Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Just make sure the reader isn't anywhere you might reach while riding! I'd hate to think what happens when you go to scratch your leg/adjust your luggage/ etc. and suddenly everything goes dark...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaceweasel View Post
    Just make sure the reader isn't anywhere you might reach while riding! I'd hate to think what happens when you go to scratch your leg/adjust your luggage/ etc. and suddenly everything goes dark...
    Good point yes. Although with the micro tag you have to bring it quite close to switch the relay. I'll probably put it under the "gas tank" in front of me, normally i don't put my hands over there.
    Regards from Switzerland
    My 2.5 Upgrade Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    All joking aside, I'd put the tag in your throttle glove and the receiver on the opposite side of the bike. You are less likely to take your right hand off the grip while moving.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sweet! Good application of RFID. This will be a nice improvement and will be more secure than an ignition switch if you protect the wiring well. Range is so short that false triggers shouldn't be a problem. Only down side is that the idle current draw is 2mA on your 12V system all the time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Skahle View Post
    ..... Only down side is that the idle current draw is 2mA on your 12V system all the time.
    Let's put some numbers on that:
    I've got 13 kWh installed on the bike
    These 2mA @ 12 V represent 0.024 watt
    So, 13'000 Watts for 1 hour, how many hours for 0.024 watt ?
    That seems to be 541'666 hours which is around 62 years.
    I might have made a mistake above.

2 mA seem to be less than the natural loss of the Leaf modules when left without any load.
    Last edited by Hugues; 21 February 2016 at 0006.
    Regards from Switzerland
    My 2.5 Upgrade Thread