Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Power in Flux

Post Thanks / Like

Power in Flux

I just received an email message from Kickstarter saying that Ted Dillard is plugging away on his book Power in Flux, The History of Electric Motorcycles and has written 20 chapters so far. He reports that he has dropped off all of the forums and his InsideEV blog and is concentrating on his book, which he explains has become very interesting and very complicated due to the fact that most of the main actors in the industry are still around. (I imagine that can create a lot of conflicts trying to uncover the truth from fantasy.) With luck he hopes to complete his book and get it published before the end of the year, but he says that if he needs to make sure it is as accurate and complete as possible, it might take a little longer.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2011 Royal Enfield 500, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

2. Likes ElMotoMike, Spaceweasel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here is the latest update from Ted:

Just a random update and some sincere thanks are in order this morning.

I just wanted to let you all know I've been hammering away at the Australian timeline and threads, and just plugged the chapters into the book after giving it another thorough read-through. It's tough, from this vantage-point, since information was hard to follow at the time, dependent on somewhat thin posts on forums and facebook and a lot of the events and discussion happening in pits and garages - events and discussion that would shape everything to come out of Australia in the electric motorcycle sphere.

The result? I couldn't be happier with both the story I was able to tell, and how it fits into the bigger story of the book.

I want to thank Chris Jones, Jason Morris, Jon Eggenhuizen and Tony Castley, along with several others, for their patience and indulgence, and helping me to get it right.

On to the next chapters!
    Richard - Current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2011 Royal Enfield 500, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Ted has come up with a cover for his book and he thanks Hugues Laliberte for the inspiration and photos. Check out the attached photo of the cover of Power in Flux.

Power in Flux.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is an update from Ted regarding his book's progress:

At nearly 190 pages, I've gone through the manuscript several times and cleaned sections up here and there, added details and got in some new material, but it gets to the point where I have to print it up, to be able to see it, get my head around it, and get out my red pencils and mark it up. Normally, with the smaller books I've written I'd take it in to work and print it on the boss's nickel. With nearly 200 pages, I wasn't feeling so brave, so I've held off and waited. Off to Staples I went this afternoon. It's a big step. It's the first time the thing takes form.

Over the next week or so, I'm going to do some critical reading and review, and hopefully start porting the document into InDesign, where I'll make the layout, chapter break and illustration decisions...

7. Likes Spoonman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here is the latest Kickstarter message from Ted regarding his new electric motorcycle book. He has 202 pages of text and is now working on selecting illustrative photos:

I spent this past week doing the chapter cuts and transitions, and filling in blanks - printed it out, marked it up with the Red Pencil of Death, and printed it out again... I'm sure more edits are needed and I've sent it off to a few trusted editor-types, but I like where it's at.

On to the next phase... collecting photos and putting together the design. I'm looking at a fairly simple design since the book is a lot heavier on the copy (and information) than I'd originally thought, and I'm lining up a couple of good people to do that for me. It looks like it's going to be a 6" x 9" format, and a good couple of inches thick.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is the latest update from Ted's Kickstarter post. It sound pretty interesting:

So I am talking to a friend...and HE says, "HEY! I ought to hook you up with so-and-so, I don't know why I didn't think of that before". (He's a little busy, since he's in upper management with an EV related company you know and love... so I'm not gonna hurt him too bad. You know, I've only been working on this for what, two-plus years or something like that?)

The book was all but wrapped up. Almost final layout, sent it to proofreading, sent out some chapters to some key people for review. Well, it turns out this "so-and-so" may have been one of the most important influences on the whole "beginning of the new age of electric motorcycles" thing, back in about 1998. It was a mother lode of information and I spent the past week exchanging emails with him (35 at last count) and cross-checking information, references, dates and facts. And yes. It's a new chapter.

It's important stuff, especially in the "threads of innovation" story, and it just wouldn't be complete if I didn't include it. I told a friend, it's like I'm writing a book on the history of the car, and just found out about Henry Ford.

(What is it? Can't tell, but I can guarantee it'll make you say "holy crap" when you read it.)

The page count blossomed to over 360 pages, but I went back and did a brutal edit - reformatting some bits and pieces as well (THANKS Richard!) and got it back down to 350 or so pages, counting the Glossary and Master Timeline and the amazing new photos that came in my email this past week. I'm still waiting on a few more, too.

So yeah, as I posted on my blog at the beginning of January, never again will I give crap to a startup motorcycle company for delaying their product launch. My wife says I have to wrap this thing up, but Chris Jones (Voltron) said "Take your time and get it right - this book will be referred to in decades to come." I love my wife, but this once? I'm going to listen to Dr. Jones.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ted's book, Power in Flux is on its way. This from his latest Kickstarter message:

By the end of today, all the domestic mail will have been shipped, thanks to the heroic efforts of my lovely wife, Teresa. (All at once now... THANK YOU TERESA!) I'm working on the customs paperwork for the international shipping, and that will go out as fast as I can do it. (Thanks to Tony Castley for fielding the shipping in Australia, by the way - he's going to be distributing the books from his address, after getting the shipment from me.) By the end of the week, all you in the States should start getting your books.