Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Level 2 "dumbcharging"

Post Thanks / Like

Level 2 "dumbcharging"

Hello all, I've been looking at J1772 connectors to possibly put on my bike. However it doesn't make a whole load of sense for motorcycles since we typically have smaller chargers that cant take advantage of the 7kw+ that the level 2 provides. However our chargers are not functioning as chargers during level 2, more as inverters to transform the ac to dc.

I was curious if anyone has played around with the idea of getting rid of a charger all together and just put an ac- dc inverter to take full advantage of level 2 charging. The BMS would prevent overcharging funny business, no?

Some cheaper level 2s can even do 11 kw for under $1000, compare that with a $500 brand new non changable 1.5kw elcon.

http://www.clippercreek.com/store/pr...r-molded-cord/

Issue is I'm not sure if such inverters exist. Some sites like alibiaba have offgrid power inverters but they work dc- ac, and I don't think the process is reversible. Anyone want to comment on the feasibility of this? Ideally you'd want a 220 ac to 72 dc for most motorcycle applications.

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    It's likely going to be as large as just getting a different AC to DC charger would be.

volume per watt on chargers and inverters is essentially the same. Some are smaller volume, but not by a whole lot.

Post Thanks / Like
    As frodus says, no significant different in size, both use the same power electronics for the most part, chargers just have more regulation build in - but that all small signal stuff and takes up next to no space relative to the rest.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm, I think I might look into modding an existing inverter to output 72v dc.

Regardless if the size difference won't be significant, I have no love for my elcon charger. Really feel mislead when I read the other day that elcon just rebrands cheap Chinese chargers and calls them their own. The way they charge people for reprogramming is really scummy too.

Looking online I can get much cheaper inverters with much more power output. I'm going to consult a Electrical Engineer I know about modding the output voltage.

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    what kind of power levels do you need?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi mate,

I have to inform you that the "charger" you linked is not a charger in the normal means. It's just a cable to go from 220V to your EV 220V (or 110) J1772/IEC Type 2 socket. It *doesn't do power converting*. It gets 220V from the wall and spits it out straight away on your EVs side. The only thing these do is LIMIT the power your car can draw and communicate with the car(EV). If you want to charge a battery you have to use an appropriate AC/DC charger. Cars have built-in ones like the LEAF or the BMW i3/i8. You plug them straight into the wall and their built-in ACDC chargers charge the batteries. These kind of cables only connect the car to the wall in a kind of safe way.
    However if you want to be able to connect to charging stations like this you can just connect a male or female (depending on what the station and the EV plug is) J1772 plug onto your existing charger's IN wires. So Line-Neutral-ProtectiveEarth. As far as I know if there is no control pin communicating with the charging station on the ground they give you simple 110V/220V one-phase ~3kW power (depends on location US-EU...).

I will actually be connecting a wall plug and a proper station plug (IEC Type 2, I'm in Europe) so I can use the public chargers. But they won't give me 22kW max because you need to communicate with the charger through the control pin on the plug if you want that kind of power.
    "Dumb" power is called that 3kW 220V/110V that comes out of it no matter what if connected.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Post Thanks / Like
    TC Charger (manufacturer of Elcon) has a new 3.3kW charger out, f.ex. 72V 40A, Size: 239x222x131mm. Good sample prices, might need a company to buy directly from them (I have).
    I bought their new 1,8kW model and it works really well.
    There is a 6.6kW version aswell.
    Normally these are all CANBUS-controlled, but they made a special version for me with a 2-wire on-off control, don't know if they can do this with the larger models.
    3,3kW.jpgCharger1.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by krrisztian View Post
    Hi mate,

I have to inform you that the "charger" you linked is not a charger in the normal means. It's just a cable to go from 220V to your EV 220V (or 110) J1772/IEC Type 2 socket. It *doesn't do power converting*. It gets 220V from the wall and spits it out straight away on your EVs side. The only thing these do is LIMIT the power your car can draw and communicate with the car(EV). If you want to charge a battery you have to use an appropriate AC/DC charger. Cars have built-in ones like the LEAF or the BMW i3/i8. You plug them straight into the wall and their built-in ACDC chargers charge the batteries. These kind of cables only connect the car to the wall in a kind of safe way.
    However if you want to be able to connect to charging stations like this you can just connect a male or female (depending on what the station and the EV plug is) J1772 plug onto your existing charger's IN wires. So Line-Neutral-ProtectiveEarth. As far as I know if there is no control pin communicating with the charging station on the ground they give you simple 110V/220V one-phase ~3kW power (depends on location US-EU...).

I will actually be connecting a wall plug and a proper station plug (IEC Type 2, I'm in Europe) so I can use the public chargers. But they won't give me 22kW max because you need to communicate with the charger through the control pin on the plug if you want that kind of power.
    "Dumb" power is called that 3kW 220V/110V that comes out of it no matter what if connected.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
    I think you need something like this to get any power out: https://www.ev-power.eu/Connectors-C...g-station.html
    --No I'm probably wrong, this is the other way around, to make a charging cable for you car using a standard outlet...
    Last edited by Johnny J; 05 September 2016 at 1608.