Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  4
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tesla 18650 vs Nissan Leaf Cells

Post Thanks / Like
    You guys were right.... I'll post some pics and possibly a video but in conclusion the Tesla built modules have all of the cells epoxied together. There is no practical or safe way to separate the cells. I have 4 modules intact that are 15s22p. Each are putting out 60v right now. I knew this was going to be a gamble. My hope was that the cells could be separated easily and the only hard part would be assembling a custom pack. Now the hurdle is selling these modules so I can recoup something and then head back to the drawing board.

Post Thanks / Like
    so you have the "tesla" modules from the Smart electric?

http://www.evwest.com/catalog/produc...4qlq5idklr5fk0

I hope you got them cheaper then they are priced at EVwest, because at that price you are paying 330 dollars a KwH.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nealwallace View Post
    You guys were right.... I'll post some pics and possibly a video but in conclusion the Tesla built modules have all of the cells epoxied together. There is no practical or safe way to separate the cells. I have 4 modules intact that are 15s22p. Each are putting out 60v right now. I knew this was going to be a gamble. My hope was that the cells could be separated easily and the only hard part would be assembling a custom pack. Now the hurdle is selling these modules so I can recoup something and then head back to the drawing board.
    It's not so hard to separate the cells from tesla pack..I lost just 4-5 cells from 2 tesla packs.Yes it takes time yes you should be acurate with it but it could be done.There is no need for expensive tools just patience.If you are interested let me know I will try to explain how to do it.There is other question is it worth to go with tesla when you can get Leaf packs.My Answer is NO.

Post Thanks / Like
    I ran across this recently, and have only fast-forwarded through it. I need to watch the whole thing and the related videos, but it looks like he's using 18650s out of used laptop batteries for home power storage (a'la Powerall) on the cheap. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk50IuWXg-c
    Sensei - Electric Ninja 250

5. Likes dcb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would not listen to Jehu too much. He does not really get some of the concepts when it comes to electric cars/electric batteries. Plus too much "drama" or opinions in his videos.

However again, 18650's too much a pain to assemble when leaf or volt cells are that cheap.

7. Likes dcb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Another consideration that I think gives points to the Leaf: in the Nissan build, the batteries sit in a bellypan with no a/c, no venting, yes there's a Detroit latitude warming blanket, but otherwise there's safety and durability built into the battery chemistry. I have blown up some 18650 cells (no I don't know why they fired off in a Makita charger). Out of 30 Leaf modules, I've had one get warm on me and belly out the container, and I don't know what I did to make that happen. The other 29 continue to power a boat and a lawnmower. They're well behaved.

9. Likes billmi liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12