Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Neck deep in projects

Post Thanks / Like

Neck deep in projects

Hi all. Been away a long time and now I need information. I have done a lot of research and find that motorcycle tires and car tires are made differently where they fit the specific rims.

I am gathering parts to build a leaning version of the Can Am Spyder. I nearly bought spindle assemblies until I found that the Spyder rims are car tire specific and motorcycle tires could roll off the bead in cornering.

I have looked as much as possible for lug mounted motorcycle wheels, but, have found nothing. Motorcycle wheels are supported on both sides of the wheels, but, I know there is/was one sided forks and swingarms. I just can not find them to see how the wheels are supported.

I have no heavy duty machines to turn spindles and mod the Spyder assemblies. I am lacking options to continue with this project. I already have a Goldwing complete swingarm with new wheel and tire. That wheel uses lugs like a car wheel. However, it is wayy too wide for front wheels. I have a 30S 1P Chevy Volt battery to use in a straddle type configuration, similar to the Arcimoto platform.

I have built a mongrel bici-moto, using bicycle parts and motorcycle forks. It uses a 20S1P Volt battery. It gets me around, but, is not sufficient as a 20 miles round trip on the asphalt, grocery getter. It does handle well with my wife and I on the rocky, slick dirt road to our house. I put an electric scooter hub motor on it , so, it rides low and center of gravity as acceptable.

Anyone have any input here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Harold in Costa Rica

Post Thanks / Like
    Look at a Honda NSR150 rear wheel.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have searched using all sorts of different terms. The Honda wheels are something I can make work. Found some Honda Hawk rear wheels, also.

Thank You very much for the heads up.

Harold in CR

Post Thanks / Like
    aprilia af1 125

honda VFR

You searched for "single sided swingarm"?

Post Thanks / Like
    tomdb, yes I searched for single sided swingarm, I have the goldwing swingarm, single sided motorcycle wheel, edge spoked motorcycle wheel, dished motorcycle wheel. I found Ducati hypermotard wheels at $450.00 and up and the carbon fibre version for $850.00 and up.

I never searched for rear wheel, figuring it would be difficult to mod, down here, in the jungle.

Thanks for additional info, Harold

Post Thanks / Like
    Shit I forgot you are in Costa Rica. That would limit your wheel choices quite a bit. But is a honda vfr 750 rear wheel too big?

Post Thanks / Like
    I am building this as an all electric reverse leaning trike. I was going to build from the ground up, but, registering here can be tricky, so, have an eye on a "big"? 2 wheel motorcycle, and will know more when wife returns from sons house. He has it and price is free. That will then get stretched out and the 2 front wheel attachment will be built. Want to keep the front tires at 3" wide or so. Rear will be 5.5" wide or so for better traction up a rocky dirt road to our house. Chevy Volt battery at 96-123V as frame room allows.