Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  4
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need input - Father /son project - Honda PCX 150

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nando View Post
    I think this project with your son is awesome, great bonding time that he'll remember his whole life.
    I hope I can make it happen, right now, all I have is $3400, I figure I need an extra $2000 to make it happen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Something killed this project Insurance! The best quote I got was half of what I pay for car insurance, home insurance and life insurance combined. Sometimes life sucks. So now I am looking for something that costs a lot less to insure, like a 2004 to 2009 Yamaha YJ125 Vino, which would still be an awesome commuter, just not as cool as the Honda PCX. Good news is that, the Vino will be a lot cheaper to build because I already have the battery, the controller and motor. So we should be good with the money I have now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, good thing you checked. Better to know now than later when it's all finished. My wife is interested in trying a scooter and I also like the vino, good bang for the buck, I like the quality and styling. I think it'll be a cool ride for your son.
    Current R1200RT, previously FZ1, HawkGT, Nighthawk 650, XS650. Loved every single one of them, now it's time for an electric bike!

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a vectrix for sale $1000, down here that needs batteries and maybe more. Maybe another option?
    https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/5589511465.html
    Current R1200RT, previously FZ1, HawkGT, Nighthawk 650, XS650. Loved every single one of them, now it's time for an electric bike!

Post Thanks / Like
    I looked at Vectrix many times, but I've read reports from people in Canada who had Vectrix bikes and could not register them. I read from a particular person who had two of them for sale because of that. I'm not taking the chance. I'm also looking locally first, to save on shipping or having to rent a truck to get it home. I can get a Vino that runs, looks good cosmetically and has a good title for under $800 total. I can get one that doesn't run and has a few dings and scratches for under 400. I'm going to see a nice looking one that runs and is in my town this morning.
    Last edited by mistercrash; 06 June 2016 at 0528.

Post Thanks / Like
    The adventure begins. I wish I could change the title of the thread. I took possession of a 2007 Yamaha Vino 125cc today. It is pretty clean, it's blue and runs great but the performance is pathetic. I guess I am well used to my other scooter that shows peaks of 28kw on acceleration. Here's a pic of the Vino with the other scooter which will have to donate a few of it's electric parts to convert the other.

vino and motorino1.jpg

That red scooter is in my opinion a ridiculous little thing which is imported to this country as a bicycle because useless pedals were put on it, so it can fall in the e-bike category that can only use a 500 watts motor and have a top speed of 32 km/h. I used it for the past five years to go to work and made many experiments on it to learn about EVs and what makes them go fast. So now it has a top speed of just over 90 km/h and gets up there in a little more than 5 seconds. Though that time has not been officially verified with the proper equipment, it's just me counting seconds in my head But it cannot be registered or insured since it is legally just a bicycle. That's where the little Vino comes in, once converted, we will be able to ride it like we stole it without the fear of the cops pulling us over for not being registered or insured or not having a motorcycle license. They'll pull us over for speeding tickets maybe

Here's a short list of what needs to be done for starters.

- Strip the Vino to pieces to verify that everything is in good condition and get rid of all the ICE junk.
    - Build a metal box to house the battery, the battery will be 11 Leaf modules, it will be split in two. We still don't know if it's going to be 7/4 modules or 6/5. The battery will take the space of the engine and the under seat compartment.
    - built a metal plateform where the gas tank is to secure the controller, contactor and shunt on.
    - The battery box needs to have some thin insulation on all sides and we need to integrate a heating system for the battery inside the metal box. A simple system with Nichrome wire and a thermostat that plugs in a wall outlet.
    - there is going to be some rewiring of the 12V system we will have to figure out, we would love to use the Motogadget M-UNIT V2 if the budget allows it.
    - This thing is monoshock, which is on the left side. We need to weld a part to the chassis to use a second shock on the right side.
    - We need to build a swing arm that will pivot on the same spot where the motor/CVT pivots.
    - We need to fit a 12 inch wheel and tire on the front fork to match the 12 inch hub motor that will be in the rear. The Vino rolls on 10 inch wheels. It might be a tight fit but we think it can be done.

There will be a lot more little things to do which I can't think of right now. We're gonna have some fun. I know Gabriel is very excited about this, which is good because I'm going to make him work his ass off while I drink beer

Thanks
    Ray and Gabriel
    Last edited by mistercrash; 07 June 2016 at 1652.

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome, very glad you guys have started. Sucks all those registration problems. Sounds like you have it well planned out, keep us posted.

Post Thanks / Like
    We are planning and planning and planning. I am a little worried at how tight the batteries fit in the chassis, I see from the plans we made that we might have to put a couple divots in the chassis in a couple spots to position the battery correctly. But this is from drawings from a service manuals I found which I tried to make as scale as possible knowing the size of the wheels, tires, wheelbase and seat height. When we take the scooter apart, we might find that there is enough room to fit the battery where we want it. Or there won't be near enough room and it's back to the drawing board

I thought of making a battery box with welded heavy gauge steel, or riveted and glued aluminum with 1/4 thick insulation. It made the box a bit too big. Then I saw a couple guys in here used angle iron to support Leaf modules and I thought it might take less volume and weight using this method. I replaced the 1/4 inch insulation with 1/8 inch GPO3 board. It made the box just small enough to fit and even though the GPO3 is not as effective as insulation, I think it would still serve as a good thermal break between the interior of the box and the outside air with the added bonus of being fire resistant.

The battery box would slip in from the top, where the under seat storage would be, and come to rest on a couple angle iron pieces welded to the chassis to keep the battery from moving left and right, front and back. Some metal strapping on the top secured on the chassis on either side would keep it from moving up or down.

Because the weight of the ICE engine and CVT unit, which is unsprung weight, will be replaced by a 95 pound battery which will become sprung weight, we want to add a second shock absorber, the Vino just has one shock on the left side.

We need to find a 12 inch front scooter wheel that has the same width as the original 10 inch Vino wheel so that we can still use the worm gear for the speedometer. The Vino has this large, beautiful, chrome speedometer with indicator lights for the blinkers and high beams. We would be very disappointed to have to change it to an ugly Cycle Analyst to display speed.

The motor we have now is a 5KW hub in a 12 inch wheel. The rear wheels in the drawings are showing 120/60-13, this is because the diameter of a 120/70-12 tire is only smaller by 1.4mm compared to a 120/60-13 tire so I thought we might go for an 8KW 13 inch hub, but for now the budget does not allow it.

As for the swing arm, I drew something just to put it in the drawing but I really have no idea on how to engineer a swing arm.

As always, suggestions are welcomed

Thanks
    Ray and gabriel
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mistercrash; 03 July 2016 at 1740.

Post Thanks / Like
    We started tearing down the scooter, I am enjoying drinking wine while my kid sweats and remembers ''lefty loosy''. lol. One thing bothers me though, I am having the hardest time trying to find a 12 inch front wheel that will fit the Yamaha YJ125 Vino.

Thanks
    Ray and Gabriel
    Last edited by mistercrash; 21 June 2016 at 0809.

Post Thanks / Like
    Regarding the swing arm, I am not a mechanical engineer but these are some of the options I would look into:
    1) Strip everything from the current swing arm and see if you end up with a shell you can keep?
    2) Measure the distance between the bearings, length, etc and look at the bearing numbers, then go on ebay to see if you can find a swing arm that can fit or can be modified to make it fit.
    3) Send me a PM with dimensions and I can help you draw 3D custom swing arm that you could take to your local fabricator, something like this? YFZ450_Swingarm_4_Blue.jpg

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast