Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Chevy Volt powered reverse trike

Post Thanks / Like

Chevy Volt powered reverse trike

Hi, Haven't been around here in forever. Too many projects and not enough time. Guess we all know how that goes.

Anyway, I have finally got the reverse trike underway. I found a 150cc dirt bike frame and swingarm for $25.00. I have the front suspension pretty well built and just need weight in the frame to adjust for the suspension allowed movement. I had a couple of Volt modules I bought, to start converting my house to semi off grid, and after measuring the frame, I found that I can get 2 of these 45v 24S modules to fit inside the frame, standing on end, right where the engine/trans was located. They will slide right in against the downtube, standing on end, and just fit under the single top rail of the frame. Just need a framework to hold them in place.

Aussie race bikes have this same set up, and the riders seem to be able to throw the bikes into and out of turns with no problem with CG being high, because they replace the gas tank space with more battery.

In the USA, most bikes have an open top frame, so, 28S-30S would fit in this same area, I am assuming, with a few inches of battery hanging down below the bottom frame rails. On my build, I have extended the frame forward, and can fit 28S-30S sitting on or just below the bottom frame rails to keep CG really low. This will give me 115V at 45 Ahr or 5.14 Kwh pack or, at 30S 5.53 Kwh pack. Figuring 120Wh mile, that should be 40 plus mile range. Proper aero and regen and that should increase to near 50 mile range.

I'm planning on modding a 6 phase Japanese scooter motor as a mid drive with 2 controllers. That will just fit under the seat and be mounted to the very front end of the swingarm. This will eliminate chain/belt tension changing as the bike travels on bumpy roads here. I found a 140/16 hwy/off road combo tire for the rear and just need to get it purchased. Then, I have to work out the rear suspension, because the rear shock was in the space where the motor will reside.

Need to get head post bearings and build the steering section, before I post any photos of what I have so far.

The bike will be heavier than original, so, I will need to buy more heavy duty shocks than available down here, and I will be going to Florida around the 18th of Oct., so, will get them there. Also, I will be getting another Volt battery and have modules to sell from that, because I won't need them all, so, will place a for sale ad in Classifieds.

More later. Harold

2. Likes Spaceweasel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    What sort of setup are you using for the front end?

Post Thanks / Like
    I built A arms and use heim joints, that screw into the A arm tubing, then lock them in place with a jam nut. May not be a real long term thing, but, I won't be riding it like a commuter, and, if I need to make changes, it will not be expensive to do so.

Post Thanks / Like
    Over the weekend, I did some adjustment mods on the front suspension, stretched the lower frame rails, so the battery would slide down inside the rails and sit 1" lower than the rail tubing itself. I have the scooter motor slid roughly into it's designated area.

This morning I just slid a 30S (5KWh) Chevy Volt pack onto the rails to make sure everything I had planned, was correct. Then broke for lunch. I'm charging the phone so I can take a few photos and post here. Anyone interested, stay tuned.
    Last edited by Harold in CR; 20 September 2016 at 1310.

Post Thanks / Like
    Finally got a few images to share. Remember, I live in the jungle, so, things are crude here.

Attachment 7149Attachment 7150Attachment 7151Attachment 7152Attachment 7153

The front suspension.
    Front view of trike.
    Motor just set in it's proper place.
    Space in the frame for the battery. Right above the C clamp is 23 and a half in marks. This is the front edge of the battery.
    The 30S (120V 45Ahr 5.4 Kwh) Chevy Volt battery. There is a black line near the bottom. That is where the battery will sit with that line flush with the top of the bottom rails. All the protruding parts will be cut off both sides of the battery.
    Last edited by Harold in CR; 20 September 2016 at 1316.

Behind the Redwood Curtain- REDWOOD ORIGINAL!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    The image links are not valid. Perhaps consider uploading the images to the gallery.
    Original build: http://vorworxemc.wix.com/vorworx
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4

Post Thanks / Like
    That's strange. When I uploaded, they all showed in the reply box?