Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  38
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: VOR.WORX.EMC.v3.0

Behind the Redwood Curtain- REDWOOD ORIGINAL!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok Ted.... here is a short clip (v-tease) showing how the dash board functions. The security pass phrase is already programmed into my phone, so it's quick to connect and turn on the bike. The different apps can be accessed easily by scrolling through them. I have GoPro app, HUD speedometer, and Virtuino running. I could also have GOOGLE maps running, but that can be accessed through the HUD Speedo app.
    Last edited by Stevo; 06 October 2018 at 1003.
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4
    Current builds: WORX.VOR.v3.2

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Everyone!
    I finally finished my movie... I hope you enjoy it
    https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=4ABE3...%21105&o=OneUp

Thanks for viewing!
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4

3. Likes Ted Dillard, Nicman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    NICE! (DAMN you DO live way out in the boonies, don'tcha?) I'd say it's a perfect bike for the application.

(lol I ride my bike to get AWAY from my phone... )
    Power in Flux: The History of Electric Motorcycles
    www.powerinflux.com

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice Video & Very Kool Build!

Could you explain your start up procedure? (step by step)

If the battery in your phone gets low (0%) will the bike still function?

Again, nice work

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Functional Artist View Post
    Nice Video & Very Kool Build!

Could you explain your start up procedure? (step by step)

If the battery in your phone gets low (0%) will the bike still function?

Again, nice work
    The Bike will run out of juice before the phone does. Not worried about that. If I find it to be problematic, I can wire a charging cable to the phone holder and plug it in there.
    I still need to do some more testing to see what my max safe range is.
    The Sevcon will go to "limp" mode when the pack hits a set low v. Sevcon makes a GREAT controller btw.

The start-up procedure is simple really. First I open up the apps that I will be using on my phone so that they are all running in the background. I pull the tethered kill switch key out, Turn on the power to Arduino Uno, which is an isolated circuit running off of a small Vicor dc-dc, Connect my phone to the Arduino Uno via bluetooth, Hit the start button on my phone using the Virtuino app (which also monitors my coolant temps and battery temps), This turns on the power to the Sevcon dc-dc as well as the Sevcon controller via a small coil relay. When I return the Kill switch key back into position, that closes the Sevcon Forward-Reverse circuit, which lets Sevcon do it's thang!
    Good to go!
    Last edited by Stevo; 14 October 2018 at 1219.

7. Likes Nicman liked this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    The Bike will run out of juice before the phone does. Not worried about that. If I find it to be problematic, I can wire a charging cable to the phone holder and plug it in there.
    I still need to do some more testing to see what my max safe range is.
    The Sevcon will go to "limp" mode when the pack hits a set low v. Sevcon makes a GREAT controller btw.

The start-up procedure is simple really. First I open up the apps that I will be using on my phone so that they are all running in the background. I pull the tethered kill switch key out, Turn on the power to Arduino Uno, which is an isolated circuit running off of a small Vicor dc-dc, Connect my phone to the Arduino Uno via bluetooth, Hit the start button on my phone using the Virtuino app (which also monitors my coolant temps and battery temps), This turns on the power to the Sevcon dc-dc as well as the Sevcon controller via a small coil relay. When I return the Kill switch key back into position, that closes the Sevcon Forward-Reverse circuit, which lets Sevcon do it's thang!
    Good to go!
    Kool, so your phone is your "electronic" key (basically) & the bike will not function without it.

I asked about the phone getting low because of all of those apps running at once & them "smart" phones always seem to be ~23%. LOL
    ...or a quick run to the store & you get stranded just cause your "stupid" phone died.

Is your main cut-off switch part of your start up procedure? (I didn't notice it mentioned)

Have you tallied a complete "cost of build" yet?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a secret, hard to reach, bypass button to remove the Arduino Uno start-up procedure out of the equation in case of a dead phone, but you don't know about that,right?! If you had read my build threads ^^^^ you would have known that.
    If the phone has enough charge to turn the bike on, that's all that's needed to get home. The bike will continue working with a dead phone once it's turned on. The Cycle Analyst provides a back-up speedometer.

Main cut off is the Main Contactor, electronically controlled. There is no mechanical cut-off switch. I don't know of any mechanical cut-off switches that can tolerate 500 amps. The battery pack's - cable can be quickly unbolted or cut for emergency, but I can't imagine any example of that ever needing to be done.
    Last edited by Stevo; 15 October 2018 at 1136.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh yeah... cost...

Are we talking about since the start at version 1.0??
    How do you put a price on a good education? All the hours of work put into it? Every new version brings me new experience and more education...
    So the answer is no! Are we talking 2010 dollars, or 2018 dollars?

Post Thanks / Like
    So I just got pulled over by Fortuna's Finest on my way to work.... The officer said nothing about the blue headlights or the cell phone dashboard... but he did tell me I had to move my license plate!! No ticket LOL

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    I have a secret, hard to reach, bypass button to remove the Arduino Uno start-up procedure out of the equation in case of a dead phone, but you don't know about that,right?! If you had read my build threads ^^^^ you would have known that.
    If the phone has enough charge to turn the bike on, that's all that's needed to get home. The bike will continue working with a dead phone once it's turned on. The Cycle Analyst provides a back-up speedometer.

Main cut off is the Main Contactor, electronically controlled. There is no mechanical cut-off switch. I don't know of any mechanical cut-off switches that can tolerate 500 amps. The battery pack's - cable can be quickly unbolted or cut for emergency, but I can't imagine any example of that ever needing to be done.
    Yes, I have read your thread, (a couple of times) again, nice job.

Good, I was hoping you had some kind of bypass in your design. I musta missed it.

I see where you mention a "key switch relay hidden & silicone inside the foam rubber" (in post #20) but, I didn't remember seeing anything about a "secret bypass button".

IMO you should have a manually operated, mechanical, main cut-off switch to be able to quickly & easily & totally disconnect your battery pack.
    (probably required in some states, like the fuel turn off valve on an ICE bike)

IIRC it should only need to tolerate 500A momentarily.

Your bike shouldn't pull 500A consistently.

You could easily add one to the side of that plastic box on the battery pack.

* Getting pulled over sucks, that's why I asked if it was "street legal" in post #26. (I couldn't easily see turn signals, brake lights or a license plate at all)

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast