Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  15
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: VOR.WORX.EMC.v3.0

Behind the Redwood Curtain- REDWOOD ORIGINAL!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    UPDATE!
    I'm now on v3.1... I have had to make some changes to the 3.0 design.

I had the last 4 days off work so I actually got a lot of tedious work done.
    I modified the OEM rear chain guide to accommodate the 62 tooth sprocket that I will be using with a 15 tooth drive sprocket for a 4.13 reduction.

I have my dashboard finished. I don't think the pics did it justice. It looks better in person.
    I used a router bit in my dremmel to carve out the dense foam rubber. My cell phone gets pushed into the carved out space and is held tightly by the foam rubber. It's takes a finger pushed in at the bottom to get the phone out not too easily, not too difficult...just right!

The Battbox is almost finished. I just have to drill and tap to hold the lids on, then I can start assembly of the cells.
    It is quite complex and looks stupid rediculous! At 21" width and 20 lbs, no cells. I can't wait for the next gen batteries to come our way. This bike will improve once again in the future! I hope to get 4-5 years of use out of these cells and look forward to the next version when these get retired into my power wall.
    The battery enclosure has several integrated components that increased the tech factor and was tedious getting it to fit right.
    The coolant pump is bolted to it, there is an integrated chain tensioner that gets bolted to it, the main contactor for the Sevcon is integrated into the design, and the shunt for the cycle analyst is also integrated into it. I made it to easily unbolt the main power cables to the Sevcon, because getting a wrench up to the Sevcon is near impossible once the battbox is installed on the bike.
    Last edited by Stevo; 3 Weeks Ago at 1340.
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4
    Current builds: http://elmoto.net/showthread.php?t=4354

2. Likes frodus, Nicman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    UPDATE!
    I'm now on v3.1... I have had to make some changes to the 3.0 design.

I had the last 4 days off work so I actually got a lot of tedious work done.
    I modified the OEM rear chain guide to accommodate the 62 tooth sprocket that I will be using with a 15 tooth drive sprocket for a 4.13 reduction.

I have my dashboard finished. I don't think the pics did it justice. It looks better in person.
    I used a router bit in my dremmel to carve out the dense foam rubber. My cell phone gets pushed into the carved out space and is held tightly by the foam rubber. It's takes a finger pushed in at the bottom to get the phone out not too easily, not too difficult...just right!

The Battbox is almost finished. I just have to drill and tap to hold the lids on, then I can start assembly of the cells.
    It is quite complex and looks stupid rediculous! At 21" width and 20 lbs, no cells. I can't wait for the next gen batteries to come our way. This bike will improve once again in the future! I hope to get 4-5 years of use out of these cells and look forward to the next version when these get retired into my power wall.
    The battery enclosure has several integrated components that increased the tech factor and was tedious getting it to fit right.
    The coolant pump is bolted to it, there is an integrated chain tensioner that gets bolted to it, the main contactor for the Sevcon is integrated into the design, and the shunt for the cycle analyst is also integrated into it. I made it to easily unbolt the main power cables to the Sevcon, because getting a wrench up to the Sevcon is near impossible once the battbox is installed on the bike.
    Haha! It does look a bit out of place on such a nimble frame. I'm amazed it can hold all of the weight. Good design! If it works it works. I'm building my radiator right now and I think you gave me some good ideas. Never built one before and I'm doing it without welding. I'll have to get a tig/mig/plasma cutoff for the holidays but it will be 3 months late for the build. I can always tear it down and re-do it with quality welds (after I teach myself to weld).

This thing is gonna be such a monster.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    This bike had a stiff suspension to begin with, probably sprung for a 220 lb rider. I'm only 168 lbs, so the suspension actually feels about right with the weight of the last build. I'm not sure yet what the new weight will be. The size of the battery pack really doesn't stick out past my knees. It feels about like a BMW RS or big inline 4 in width. I can live with it for the next 3-5 years knowing that this bike will improve with the next battery pack. It's a good feeling knowing that it will just keep getting better and better with time!

Ya, a plasma cutter would be handy. I've gone thru my share of angle grinders. So far, the best luck I've had is with DeWalts and my trusty Hitachi brushless angle grinder. I have 4 in total, 2 with cut off wheels, one with flap sanding wheel, and one with ss wire brush wheel. It makes quick work not having to stop and change grinding wheels constantly.
    Last edited by Stevo; 3 Weeks Ago at 0711.
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4

5. Likes Nicman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I had to fit a few things with the battbox installed on the bike before I dive into putting the cells together.
    The Nissan Leaf battbox that I am replacing has 11 modules for 90 volts and just over 4.5kWh and weighs 112 lbs.
    I guestimate that the new 100v battbox of 24 Dow Kokam XALT cells just under 7.5kWh will weigh in at close to 120-130 lbs. Not too bad. I was expecting it to be closer to 150 lbs. Maybe after all the cables and hardware is installed, it will be. I will weigh it when I'm done building the pack.
    Sneak peek:

I sacrificed a Harbor Freight pelican box knock-off and JB Welded it to the side. I needed a weather proof easy access hatch to get to the cell balancing wires and main contactor. There is absolutely no way to access the main power cables at the Sevcon with the battbox installed... so I have to be able to remove the + power cable from the contactor to remove or install the battbox. I have a different idea for the - cable, stay tuned! Same Batt Channel, Same Batt time!!

7. Likes EVcycle liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123