Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: VOR.WORX.EMC.v3.0

Behind the Redwood Curtain- REDWOOD ORIGINAL!!
    Post Thanks / Like

VOR.WORX.EMC.v3.0

This re-do with the ME1003 and AXE7245 is such a huge improvement that it deserves a v3.0 classification!
    It's heavy at 346 lbs, but I geared it for 50 mph and it gets up to that speed quite quickly considering it's weight.
    I need to do some more testing to see what kind of range I can get. I probably will get some SM tires... the knobbies suck alot of energy out.
    It feels and rides like an XR400. The acceleration is impressive with so much rolling weight, even up hills.
    The truly awesome thing about it is that it can only improve with time as batteries get better and lighter.
    But as it is now, I can use this bike to commute to and from work!! No more gas stops!!
    Original build: http://vorworxemc.wix.com/vorworx
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4

2. Likes Spaceweasel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    What motor/controller combination did you come from? I have considered swapping my ME0709 and AXE7234 out for the setup you mention, but didn't think it'd make much of a difference- and also that I'd hate to spend the money on a new motor/controller combo and not have regen. You seem to like it a lot, though!

Post Thanks / Like
    v1 and 2 had a ME909 and axe 4834. It would have worked ok for commuting my 4 mile roundtrip to work where I lived at the time of the original build, but I moved and now my roundtrip commute is 10 miles with a steep, maybe 5-6% grade hill. Im not sure what the difference is on the ME0709 vs ME1003. I see that Alltrax makes a new controller for series motors http://www.alltraxinc.com/Products_SR.html

Has anyone tried this new product?
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4

Post Thanks / Like

Cool 2017 Update!!

2017 Update!
    I finally tackled the task of getting the bike licensed and legal to commute to work. The CA DMV wanted the engine number on the motor, the federal EP stickers on the bike frame, VIN number stamped to the frame, even though the bike was street legal and plated in Oregon. I had to arrange a meeting with my friendly local CHP officer Chris Adkins. He laughed about the EP sticker because there are no emissions on an electric vehicle. He made me a sticker with the VIN number to put on the motor to make the DMV happy. He said I could stamp the vin number onto my electric motor since there is no number on it anywhere. I figure the sticker will come off after a few heat cycles. I filed the sticker away with my pink slip. Now I can still upgrade my motor for the next version without bothering this busy guy with another inspection.
    [IMG][

Since I really didn't know what to expect when I built this, I used a 14 tooth drive sprocket with a 70 tooth chain ring. I was getting good acceleration and a top speed of about 50 mph. The chainring was so big I had no adjustment left in the chain and it would derail at low speeds, like in a parking lot.
    I now have a 62 tooth chainring with the 14 drive and an additional chain tensioner. Now I'm getting 56 mph and better acceleration uphills and from a dead stop. It's actually quite fun and fast to ride. I can imagine how much better it's going to be with the next gen batteries
    [IMG][/IMG]

These LED headlights from China are the SHIZ!! These things are BRIGHT, consume next to nothing in watts, and look amazingly cool to boot. They have a bright blue halo around each projector lens. Very cool for less than $10 a piece!
    [IMG][/IMG]