Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  38
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: VOR.WORX.EMC.v3.0

Post Thanks / Like
    Stevo!
    Awesome dude! Travis is awesome and so is the 3.1. Video is a must next.

Total weight?
    0-60 time estimate? You still have knobies and do you plan on some kind of street tires or a hybrid?

How is the Domino compared to the magura? Is it a speed sensor or a torque sensor? Do you prefer the Domino? I've heard it is less rotation from 0-5v which is nice for the wrist.

I'm sure you can get it above 72MPH but do it as safely and legally as you can.

Look forward to hearing more about the specs including total range(max) at highway and residential speeds.

Congrats!!!! My bike may mirror yours in some respects since our builds are so similar.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Behind the Redwood Curtain- REDWOOD ORIGINAL!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Nick!
    No Domino. I'm using the Magura. Throttle response is super smooth. I don't notice the turn ratio being any different really from ICE to be honest with you. I changed the drive sprocket one tooth smaller to a 14, but I haven't ridden it yet after that change (late last night). Did I mention smooth? The back tire is so controllable in the dirt. I'm afraid that may change with the smaller drive sprocket. I'll find out soon. It may turn out to be worth giving up some top end speed for better wheel control down low for offroading.
    When it got to 72 mph, it still had some"in the tank", but very slow to increase, much like lugging in top gear on an ICE...
    Again, I'll see soon enough what going from 4.1 ratio to 4.4 will do. And I will test for max range also from a full charge.
    Total weight is 401.5 lbs
    I am talking with my buddy Byron now about shooting a video. This will probably take us a few weeks and I'll post here when it's done.

Final Thought: Don't go crazy with radiators! One small one will do. The coolant temps are staying pretty low from what I saw on my first test ride.

Oh ya... one more thing....
    You should see the bluetooth BMS system Travis is working on. It's sweet! It will be a future upgrade on this build for sure! And it should integrate nicely with my cell phone dashboard.
    Last edited by Stevo; 03 September 2018 at 1224.
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4
    Current builds: WORX.VOR.v3.2

3. Likes Nicman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    Hey Nick!
    No Domino. I'm using the Magura. Throttle response is super smooth. I don't notice the turn ratio being any different really from ICE to be honest with you. I changed the drive sprocket one tooth smaller to a 14, but I haven't ridden it yet after that change (late last night). Did I mention smooth? The back tire is so controllable in the dirt. I'm afraid that may change with the smaller drive sprocket. I'll find out soon. It may turn out to be worth giving up some top end speed for better wheel control down low for offroading.
    When it got to 72 mph, it still had some"in the tank", but very slow to increase, much like lugging in top gear on an ICE...
    Again, I'll see soon enough what going from 4.1 ratio to 4.4 will do. And I will test for max range also from a full charge.
    Total weight is 401.5 lbs
    I am talking with my buddy Byron now about shooting a video. This will probably take us a few weeks and I'll post here when it's done.

Final Thought: Don't go crazy with radiators! One small one will do. The coolant temps are staying pretty low from what I saw on my first test ride.

Oh ya... one more thing....
    You should see the bluetooth BMS system Travis is working on. It's sweet! It will be a future upgrade on this build for sure! And it should integrate nicely with my cell phone dashboard.
    Radiators! I'm resusing my old one from the 250. Bluetooth you say? I'm down to learn more.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    RE: Display
    Myself and another company are working on a device that can be connected to the Zeva BMS via CAN, as well as the Sevcon Gen4 controllers to read various parameters via Torque for Android. It's in early alpha stage and I'm working with another company. They're doing software and hardware based on some of my input. I've got a board I'm using to test. It's bluetooth and basically emulates ELM327 responses so we can use with Torque.

6. Likes Nicman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have my buddy Byron's GoPro with a few mounts that I will strategically place on the bike to get different views as I ride. I want to monitor the bottom corners of my battbox to see how close I'm getting to scraping it while leaned over in a curve.
    I've had a few requests for video from around the world.... I didn't know I was gonna be world famous someday!!! I want to be sure I'm proud of my videography (I have a lot to learn... Will this project ever get done?!! LOL)
    I think video will show just how slick this google smartphone dashboard is! Very Slick indeed! All of these apps can be easily accessed with glove on.... it's truly amazing!
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4

Post Thanks / Like
    Quick update after several test rides. Dropping the drive sprocket to 14 tooth made the acceleration on this bike scary fast... seriously folks... this thing hauls ass! It breaks the back tire loose no problemo. I was a bit concerned about that and now more so. Can be unpredictable in the dirt. But quite fun, now if it can just go on a diet!

I will need to fab up a new stiffened dashboard plate at some point, because the weight of the LED lightbar is making the dash vibrate way too much. The good news is my phone stays secure with all the big road bumps and vibrations... no worries at all about the phone falling out of it's holder.

GOPR6548_1536266330471_high.jpg
    Last edited by Stevo; 06 September 2018 at 1344.

Post Thanks / Like
    So after a bunch of short back-to-back high amp runs, getting things nice and hot, I discovered a significant design flaw that I had overlooked. Luckily it was an easy fix without needing to drop the battbox, which is a royal PITA.
    So I have 3 temp sensors in the battery pack, one located on the Cycle Analyst's shunt on the Battery - side, one located mid-pack between the cells, and one located on the bus cable that connects the Rt side batt compartment to the mid-pack compartment. I noticed the shunt was getting very hot (high 60- low 70 *C) while the other batt sensors were staying low to mid 40's. I inspected the - terminal passthrough (Sevcon side of the Cycle Analyst shunt, passes through the polycarbonate lid) and saw that had reached melting temps.

I realized that for the 1/4" through the lid, ALL of the current was passing through the steel bolt only. That needs to be more robust and a better conductor there! OOOPS!! So I was able to pull the lid off with the Battbox still mounted on the bike, clean up the shunt and lid...

and install an Al bushing for the passthrough...

Now my temps are staying mid 40's at all 3 locations. I sealed around the bushing with high temp silicone. I'll keep an eye on this to see how she holds up... it appears to be fixed.
    I had found and ordered a Cu bushing to switch out the Al one just in case the Al bushing didn't suffice. So far the Al one seems to be working just fine.

10. Likes Ted Dillard, Nicman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I also newly discovered a minor heat issue on the + side of the Battbox.
    Some strategically placed Si pad and foam insulation to protect wires and lid was needed.

I also needed to fab a better fitting water pump shield:

Now I need to get back to work and fab up a stiffer dashboard and LED lightbar mount... the one I made proved too flimsy.

I'm still working on the video project part of this build. I want it to be good
    Take 112! Action!!!
    Last edited by Stevo; 24 September 2018 at 0932.

12. Likes frodus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Finally finished!
    After 10 mos and hundreds, if not thousands of hours (I didn't keep track... I was on a mission!), the eVOR is finally done.
    This weekend, I modified my dashboard by making it shorter and put a bend in it, then I beefed up the flimsy LED light bar by the addition of some barkbusters. The whole dash assembly and light is nice and solid now.

Now I get to enjoy the fruits of all my hard work

14. Likes frodus, Ted Dillard, Nicman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    NICE! Congrats!

WE WANT RIDE VIDEOS!
    Power in Flux: The History of Electric Motorcycles
    www.powerinflux.com

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast