Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Germany banns IC in 2030

Post Thanks / Like

Germany banns IC in 2030

Here is an article regarding Germany's new law. Apparently all gas and diesel vehicles will be banned from public roads after 2030. But it does require approval by the EU before it can go into effect. There are bound to be a lot of unintended consequences if this ban occurs. I was fascinated by the comment in the article that the ban could hurt Tesla sales. No doubt that would accelerate BMW's introduction of an electric motorcycle (no doubt a GS style) and substantially increase the sales of their e-scooter range. It is kind of hard to imagine a Ducati or Moto Guzzi electric motorcycle, though:
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/bertelsc.../#4bfc2bd931d9
    Richard - Current bikes: 2014 14.2 kWh Zero S, 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2011 Royal Enfield 500, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard230 View Post
    Apparently all gas and diesel vehicles will be banned from public roads after 2030.

It is kind of hard to imagine a Ducati or Moto Guzzi electric motorcycle, though:
    It would be nice, But,.. I can not imagine them banning "all gas and diesel vehicles"...Perhaps banning new vehicles, but not existing vehicles! ... And it might take more than 14 years to convert all long-haul 18 wheelers to electric.

My brother had a Ducati, my father and I have Moto Guzzis, so I would love to see them get into electric bikes.

Speaking of Moto Guzzi, has anyone visited their head quarters?
    "obstacles suck but challenges are fun"

Post Thanks / Like
    It looks like the KTM Freeride will be offered for sale in the U.S. No price yet, though: http://www.ktm.com/us/e-ride/freeride-e-sx-1/
    Richard - Current bikes: 2014 14.2 kWh Zero S, 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2011 Royal Enfield 500, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard230 View Post
    Here is an article regarding Germany's new law. Apparently all gas and diesel vehicles will be banned from public roads after 2030. But it does require approval by the EU before it can go into effect. There are bound to be a lot of unintended consequences if this ban occurs. I was fascinated by the comment in the article that the ban could hurt Tesla sales. No doubt that would accelerate BMW's introduction of an electric motorcycle (no doubt a GS style) and substantially increase the sales of their e-scooter range. It is kind of hard to imagine a Ducati or Moto Guzzi electric motorcycle, though:
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/bertelsc.../#4bfc2bd931d9
    It will be interesting to see how the 'niche' ICE motorcycle manufacturers (Guzzi & Ducati & others) adapt themselves once their "signature" internal combustion novelties are ruled illegal or simply no longer sell in the market place. As far as an Electro-Duc goes, I do have some spare Ducati bits... Since all the engine mount points are the same, perhaps I should design and open-source a Duc conversion "kit" (likely just electric motor mounting/chassis integration).