Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  9
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: First E-Moto project underway '10 Zero S rebuild

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi there - new to EV life. Excited to see your project take shape. Wondering what torque / power / range figures you're aiming for / how comparable to the newer models Zero released etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Torque: shooting for ~85 ft/lbs, Power ~50 hp, & range ~40-50 miles. I’m trying to hit about 60% of what a newer used Zero sells for, but for a little less $$ & learn along the way too.
    '10 Zero S project

Post Thanks / Like
    Great find!

Agni brushes last about 2000 miles. Easy to inspect, just remove cover. You can buy new ones as I did last spring.
    2003 Ninja 250EX, Agni #95R, 6:1 Gearing, 11 Leaf Modules.
    Alltrax SPM72400, 400 amp Controller, all LED lighting
    2014 CRF450X Supermoto
    http://www.evalbum.com/1955
    http://www.evalbum.com/3337

Post Thanks / Like
    Replacing the Agni with an ME1507 running @ 96 volts fed through a Sevcon Gen 4/Size 6...

Muwhahahaha!!!!
    '10 Zero S project

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    Can't wait to see that motor/controller combo. Let me know how you like it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I feel that I'm at a real cross-roads here. The battery would be the next thing to tackle (besides the chassis updates) and that would be my next major purchase.

I live in the continental US's most-remote major city (Albuquerque) and the idiots with licenses around here make riding in the city about NO fun. So, most of my riding is outside the city so the distance it would take me to get out of town to where I like to ride is already exceeding a practical battery range. Even if I went with Tesla cells and built my own pack from them (a more expensive option than the 13x Leaf cells which top the list of options I'm considering), my expected range with them is only at ~100 miles.

So, for me, for where I live and for the areas I like to ride in... I'm thinking my E-moto options are the new Zero SR with Battery Tank option, or petrol powered. If I end up with a petrol cycle, I'll likely part out or sell the entire project here to keep it going.

Any thoughts or opinions are welcome.
    '10 Zero S project

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    I think you should finish it and have some fun!

8. Likes Spaceweasel liked this post
    Behind the Redwood Curtain- REDWOOD ORIGINAL!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^^^^ My vote is with Frodus! We need more of us DIY'ers on the roads!
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4
    Current builds: WORX.VOR.v3.2

Post Thanks / Like
    Whatever you decide, good luck! I understand the frustration sometimes with conversions. Some go smoothly, others are more difficult.

If you do end up parting out, I might know a couple people who are looking for that combo. I might even be interested in the controller for my ZX6 conversion!

let me know good luck

Post Thanks / Like
    I've just mailed a check to Stuart and will be taking over the project components. Everything needs to get shipped 1000 miles and when it does get here it is going to be sitting while I work on some ICE projects that are higher in the queue and learn more about this e-moto stuff.

I want to be able to talk intelligently about electric matters but to a large extent I'll be "black boxing" things. I'm not going to be an electronics/programming hobbyist, I just want to hook some proven components together correctly and use them to see what e-power offers for both performance and chassis design possibilities in a street application. My project is building a motorcycle, not trying to be the next Tesla/Edison. I'm happy to listen to experts tell me what I should do instead of guessing and letting the magic smoke out of wires.

cheers,
    Michael

12. Likes Nicman, Stevo liked this post
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast