Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: My first Hybrid-Electric Moto build - Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Post Thanks / Like

My first Hybrid-Electric Moto build - Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hi All,

I'm a graduate student doing my masters in environmental studies here in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. I have proposed as my major project to build a hybrid electric range-extender motorcycle. I have knowledge of motorcycles, have owned, fixed and rebuilt many, however I've never built or worked on an electric bike so this is a total learning experience for me...

The Goal: to have a cruiser type motorcycle that has a battery pack for local short distance rides, and a diesel generator which will be converted to run on used veggie oil / biodiesel for longer distance riding. The generator will create enough electricity to power the electric motor when the batteries have been depleted.

The Purpose: eliminate range dependency/anxiety, find more sustainable forms of transportation, help the transition from internal combustion (ICE) motorcycles to full electric, appeal to the long distance cruiser/touring rider.

My Plan:

1. Find a cruiser frame - ideally harley softail as they have lots of space for components, are easily customizable, and suit the style I am trying to go for.

2. Decide on a motor - I am leaning towards the enertrac 602/603 hub motor (or if finances allow the dual hub motor) as it gives me more room in the motorcycle for other components.

3. Find batteries - have started reading up on this and at first was leaning towards Lifepo4 but if I can get my hands on some leaf batteries (which would fit much easier) that would be truly awesome. Anyone know where I could find some? or even begin looking? (junk yards I assume) or suggestions on other batteries would be welcome!

4. Purchase a used diesel generator that would be able to power the bike alone without the batteries and convert it to run on used veggie oil/other

5. Fit all the main components to the bike

6. Electronics - controller, charger, bms maybe, throttle, inverters, whatever else I need to make this work

7. Test it out, make some tweaks

8. Make it look awesome and presentable.

Thats the plan at least! my due date is in August (2017) - which can be pushed but I'd really like to have it finished by then so I can graduate haha.

If anyone has any constructive advice, ideas, suggestions, leads, would like to help out etc. feel free to let me know! I've been reading some of these threads and you folks are great!

Sorry for the long post. Thats all for now!

- Craig

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Craig, welcome to the community I'm from Toronto too! I mainly lurk on here. I too want to build a bike but am no where near there but maybe I could help. There's a lithium battery manufacturer I just found out about based in Mississauga called Electrovaya. (http://electrovaya.com/) If you need anything let me know, good luck and I look forward to seeing how this turns out.
    Last edited by Lex; 20 November 2016 at 0818.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Hi All,

I'm a graduate student doing my masters in environmental studies here in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. I have proposed as my major project to build a hybrid electric range-extender motorcycle. I have knowledge of motorcycles, have owned, fixed and rebuilt many, however I've never built or worked on an electric bike so this is a total learning experience for me...

The Goal: to have a cruiser type motorcycle that has a battery pack for local short distance rides, and a diesel generator which will be converted to run on used veggie oil / biodiesel for longer distance riding. The generator will create enough electricity to power the electric motor when the batteries have been depleted.

The Purpose: eliminate range dependency/anxiety, find more sustainable forms of transportation, help the transition from internal combustion (ICE) motorcycles to full electric, appeal to the long distance cruiser/touring rider.

My Plan:

1. Find a cruiser frame - ideally harley softail as they have lots of space for components, are easily customizable, and suit the style I am trying to go for.

2. Decide on a motor - I am leaning towards the enertrac 602/603 hub motor (or if finances allow the dual hub motor) as it gives me more room in the motorcycle for other components.

3. Find batteries - have started reading up on this and at first was leaning towards Lifepo4 but if I can get my hands on some leaf batteries (which would fit much easier) that would be truly awesome. Anyone know where I could find some? or even begin looking? (junk yards I assume) or suggestions on other batteries would be welcome!

4. Purchase a used diesel generator that would be able to power the bike alone without the batteries and convert it to run on used veggie oil/other

5. Fit all the main components to the bike

6. Electronics - controller, charger, bms maybe, throttle, inverters, whatever else I need to make this work

7. Test it out, make some tweaks

8. Make it look awesome and presentable.

Thats the plan at least! my due date is in August (2017) - which can be pushed but I'd really like to have it finished by then so I can graduate haha.

If anyone has any constructive advice, ideas, suggestions, leads, would like to help out etc. feel free to let me know! I've been reading some of these threads and you folks are great!

Sorry for the long post. Thats all for now!

- Craig
    Hi,

Points 4 and 5 will be the challenge,

you say you want the generator to feed electricity to the electric motor. Have you defined how many amps your generator must feed to motor (or battery/controller to be precise) to get a decent performance ? I sometimes pull 400 amps out of my pack to move my bike at good acceleration. Can you find a generator up to the task ?

Laws of thermodynamics won't give you any help when you convert mechanical energy from your diesel generator into electricity using an alternator. Many loses in the process. It's probably better from a loss point of view to power the bike directly from your diesel engine, but then can you get enough power ?

I would think you cannot really power the bike decently doing this. YOu would have to stop and let the diesel engine recharge your batteries. But then if you have to stop then stop in a place where you can plug your battery and don't add the complexity and carbon of the diesel engine.

Or you end up making compromise on range due to less battery and power due to small diesel engine.

There is really not a lot of space on a bike for all this, i speak from experience, and my frame is rather big.
    Regards from Switzerland
    My 2.5 Upgrade Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    You may be interested in this guy's work, he's converted a motorcycle to run on cooking oil:

http://www.pcarter.com.au/site/is-th...ng-diesel.html