Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pulley for AC-23 Motor with harley wheels

Post Thanks / Like

Pulley for AC-23 Motor with harley wheels

Hi,

I am working on an electric motorcycle for myself and looking for a belt pulley for the motor. The motor has a 7/8" keyed shaft with 5/16 key. I have been looking for a pulley but could not find one. All harley tooted pulley's have splines which will not fix the motor shaft.

Any options / ideas would be helpful

-Milton

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by milton View Post
    Hi,

I am working on an electric motorcycle for myself and looking for a belt pulley for the motor. The motor has a 7/8" keyed shaft with 5/16 key. I have been looking for a pulley but could not find one. All harley tooted pulley's have splines which will not fix the motor shaft.

Any options / ideas would be helpful

-Milton
    Hi,

I use the AC-23 with a 25 tooth pulley, i have used a taper lock bushing ( i think 1008) and it works nicely

Gates manufacture these pulleys
    ZRS 25S 8M 21 3F TB 1108
    (8M 25S 21)
    PolyChain GT GATES pulley

I use this belt from Gates
    8MPCCGT 1792 X 21
    PolyChain Carbon GATES
    Regards from Switzerland
    My 2.5 Upgrade Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Huges. Are you running a standard harley rear pulley or one from gates as well? The belt seems to be .83" while a standard harley pulley will be more then 1" if i am not mistaken

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Huges. Are you running a standard harley rear pulley or one from gates as well? The belt seems to be .83" while a standard harley pulley will be more then 1" if i am not mistaken
    custom made at the back, 176 tooth, to get a 7.04:1 ratio, or else the AC-23 will become too hot

back.jpg
    Regards from Switzerland
    My 2.5 Upgrade Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugues View Post
    custom made at the back, 176 tooth, to get a 7.04:1 ratio, or else the AC-23 will become too hot

back.jpg
    Did you get to try with the Harley pulley or its based on assumption that the motor will get hot? Custom building that big pulley will be expensive

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you get to try with the Harley pulley or its based on assumption that the motor will get hot? Custom building that big pulley will be expensive
    I did not try with a HD pulley but a similar ratio of around 4:1 (by playing on motor pulley) and the motor was derating very quickly. Bike is 280 kgs.

I have 2 extra fans on AC-23 currently.
    Regards from Switzerland
    My 2.5 Upgrade Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I did not try with a HD pulley but a similar ratio of around 4:1 (by playing on motor pulley) and the motor was derating very quickly. Bike is 280 kgs.

I have 2 extra fans on AC-23 currently.
    Thanks Huges.

Would you mind if you have a plan that you can share to make the pulley?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Huges.

Would you mind if you have a plan that you can share to make the pulley?
    Sorry, i could never have it, the tooth profile that was used seems to be proprietary of Gates, it was made in France. But i could not really recommend to have it made there, they are too busy for a one-off job like this.
    Regards from Switzerland
    My 2.5 Upgrade Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, i could never have it, the tooth profile that was used seems to be proprietary of Gates, it was made in France. But i could not really recommend to have it made there, they are too busy for a one-off job like this.
    Wouldn't the 7.04:1 ratio reduce the overall speed of the bike? The motor will have to run at higher RPM to achieve 60-80mph at 7.04:1 ratio then it would at 2:1 or 4:1. Just wondering.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wouldn't the 7.04:1 ratio reduce the overall speed of the bike? The motor will have to run at higher RPM to achieve 60-80mph at 7.04:1 ratio then it would at 2:1 or 4:1. Just wondering.
    Yes, but your have to balance the top speed out with the needed torque. Doing a 2:1 ratio would theoretically allow for a high top speed, but it'd be like trying to take off from a stop in fifth gear- the torque required to do so is more than the motor has to give. With a gas engine, this just means that you stall, but with an electric motor, it means you overheat it or burn something up as it struggles to accelerate. It is necessary to pick a compromise ratio that allows for a top speed you can live with and good acceleration without taxing the motor from a dead stop.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast