Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Dual Hub Motor Front and Back

Post Thanks / Like

Dual Hub Motor Front and Back

Was thinking about a bike with a hub motor in the front wheel and a hub motor in the back? Does this require 2 separate controllers and throttles? Could you use the motors regen as a front and back brake? By having two motors can you reduce the motor size like instead of one 96v you could use two 48v?
    Has anybody ever done this?

I was googling and could only find dual Hub rear or dual Hub front.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey there. good questions. I can answer a couple.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex View Post
    Was thinking about a bike with a hub motor in the front wheel and a hub motor in the back? Does this require 2 separate controllers and throttles?
    You can do it with a single throttle and two controllers.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex View Post
    Could you use the motors regen as a front and back brake?
    Yep, you can. You can dial the two controllers to have different levels of regen too.
    EVs: 2007 Zapino Scooter, Honda VF500 Conversion (electriceptor.wordpress.com), Red Nissan LEAF SL (Arrived!)

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not aware that anybody has done it no, but for pretty good reason - with 4 motors, I expect you'd like to be able to travel at a reasonable rate of knots yes?

Such being the case you may wish to take a look into the effects of unsprung mass on the handling characteristics of motorcycles.
    [spoiler alert] - unless you're planning on going exclusively in a very straight line on a very smooth surface, I don't think you're going to like it.

which isn't to say that the project won't be fun, merely that you needn't expect anything practical to come from it. ;-)

4. Likes Richard230 liked this post