Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: ChargePoint's new 400 kW charging stations

Post Thanks / Like

ChargePoint's new 400 kW charging stations

An article in my newspaper today, written by Louis Hansen of the Bay Area News Group, discusses ChargePoint's announcement of a new series of charging stations that will charge electric vehicles at rates of up to 400 kW - provided that they can handle that rate of charge. If they can not the new stations will be able to tell and back off the charge rate to the maximum that the vehicle can handle. ChargePoint CEO Pat Romano said that his company is building infrastructure for the next generation of electric vehicles.

The Express Plus DC chargers will work with almost any EV, including Teslas, Leafs, Bolts, and even electric buses and trucks. The first versions of the new charger are expected to be installed this summer. The new charging stations would permit an electric car to obtain 200 miles of range with a 5-minute charge, according to the article.

Also, in November, a consortium of automakers in Europe announced plans to build 350 KW charging stations across Europe, starting with 400 sites. The group includes Ford, BMW, Audi, Mercedes and Porsche.

However, Elon Musk hinted last month that Tesla is working on an upgraded Supercharger and joked that a 350 kW charger was too small. He said in a Tweet: "What are you referring to, a children's toy?"
    Richard - Current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2011 Royal Enfield 500, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Post Thanks / Like
    Crazy high power charging is now a thing. Such high power charging, now, only makes sense for very large battery packs that don't exceed currently accepted C rates...SUVs/trucks. Such charging will require more costly, higher power lines and/or battery storage to deliver enough energy.

Charging at faster than 1C creates lots of heat, which is not good for the cell. Cooling the cell may reduce the damage, but requires energy for refrigeration, which is a waste of energy. If/when we have cells with low enough internal resistance to allow high C rate charging, without refrigeration, is time enough to consider such high power charging for sensible sized vehicles. Yeah, I know, I'm a party pooper.

Post Thanks / Like
    Much more useful would be if the current DCFC stations actually conformed to the existing CHADEMO standard. That way electric motorcycles with under 300 volt packs could actually use the stations. And for current 400 volt cars, most DCFC stations can't deliver the 50 kW standard.

Post Thanks / Like
    I heard that the lower limit for the ChargePoint stations will be 200 volts, so they won't work on Zeros unless they completely redesign the power train. Also, I bet using these new stations will not be cheap. I suspect that it will be more expensive than pumping gasoline to take you a similar distance. If there is a big difference is cost, that will not do anything to increase EV sales to the non-EV-enthusiast public.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2011 Royal Enfield 500, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Post Thanks / Like
    As far as I know, nobody has been able to sell an EV to a non-EV-enthusiast. But all the EV enthusiasts are sure it will happen. :-)

Even on the EV sites, where half the people have never driven anything with an electric motor, their readers swear they will get one...just as soon as they can get an electric Suburban at the ICE price, that will charge in five minutes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren View Post
    As far as I know, nobody has been able to sell an EV to a non-EV-enthusiast. But all the EV enthusiasts are sure it will happen. :-)

Even on the EV sites, where half the people have never driven anything with an electric motor, their readers swear they will get one...just as soon as they can get an electric Suburban at the ICE price, that will charge in five minutes.
    Sounds about right to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    In related news: I have a friend who works for one of the major SF radio stations. He told me yesterday while we were having breakfast at Alice's Restaurant that the radio station just spent thousands of dollars installing six L2 ChargePoint stations in their parking garage after they received a spirited demand for EV charging stations by the station "personalities" who owned electric cars. They were told that the employees would love to charge their cars while they were at work. But once they were installed and the EV owners realized that they would have to pay to use the charging stations, they suddenly lost interest and decided that they really didn't need to charge at work and recharging at home was good enough. He told me that now the charging stations just sit there unused and the radio station is now wondering if the money to install the facilities was well spent.